Cabrera Throws Five Shutout Innings at Fitch Park
Roni Torreyes knocked-in three runs with a bases-loaded triple, John Andreoli tripled and walked, scored two runs, and drove-in two more, Rafael Lopez reached base three times on a double, a single, and a walk, and scored three runs, and Alberto Cabrera tossed five innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and four relievers threw four perfect innings, as the Tennessee Smokies blanked the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants AA affiliate) 9-0 on Field #2, and Brad Nelson, Edwin Maysonet, and Tim Torres smacked extra-base hits to highlight a four-run 2nd inning for the Cubs, while Johnny Monell and Hector Sanchez blasted home runs for the Grizzlies, as the Iowa Cubs and Fresno Grizzlies (Giants AAA affiliate) played to an 8-8 tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League Camp action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Tennessee and Iowa pitchers were inserted into the lineups in sacrifice situations to practice their bunting skills.
Jeffrey Baez and Xavier Batista were temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from the Boise/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training), and both of them saw action in the game on Field #3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
X-1. Alberto Cabrera, P: 0-1 (K, SH-E1)
NOTE:: Cabrera batted twice, hitting 3rd in the 2nd inning and 2nd in the 5th
1. Roni Torreyes, 2B: 1-4 (K, 3B, K, 5-3, R, 3 RBI)
2. Matt Szczur, RF: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, F-8, K)
4. Jorge Soler, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, 2B, BB, P-5, R)
5. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-7, R)
6. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 6-3, F-7, 1B)
7a. Rafael Lopez, DH #2: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI)
7b. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-1 (3-U)
8. John Andreoli, CF: 1-2 (BB, 4-6-3 DP, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
9. Evan Crawford, LF: 0-2 (L-9, 4-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
10. Luis Flores, C-DH; 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, R)
1. Alberto Cabrera: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 68 pitches (44 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Dae-Eun Rhee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Yeiper Castillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Zac Rosscup: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
X-1. Drew Carpenter, P: 0-0 (1-4 SH, 1-4 SH)
NOTE: Carpenter batted twice, hitting 2nd in both the 1st and 2nd innings
X-2. Yoanner Negrin, P: 0-0 (1-3 SH)
NOTE: Negrin batted once, hitting 2nd in the 5th
1. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-4, BB, 4-3, R)
2. Brian Bogusevic, CF-DH: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, E-6, K, R, SB)
3a. Justin Bour, DH #1: 1-2 (4-3, 2B, BB, RBI)
3b. Xavier Batista, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
4. Brad Nelson, 1B: 2-3 (2B, 3-U, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Darnell McDonald, LF: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Johermyn Chavez, RF: 1-2 (BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
6b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Edwin Maysonet, SS: 1-4 (2B, P-3, F-8, P-4, R, RBI)
8. Chad Noble, C: 0-2 (F-9 SF, F-8, F-7 DP, RBI)
9. Tim Torres, 3B: 2-3 (3B, F-8, 1B, R, RBI)
10a. Josh Vitters, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
10b. Rubi Silva, CF: 0-1 (F-8)
1. Drew Carpenter: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 WP, 75 pitches (47 strikes), 1/8 GO/FO
NOTE: Carpenter's 5th inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
2. Yoanner Negrin: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Marcus Hatley: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 1
SS Edwin Maysonet - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chad Noble: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed
how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
by making bad decisions...