Wada Ya Gonna Do?
Tsuyoshi Wada fired five innings of shutout ball with seven strikeouts, Javier Baez collected three hits and three RBI, and Josh Vitters ripped a solo HR and an RBI double, as the AAA Iowa Cubs defeated the Salt Lake Bees (Angels AAA affiliate) 7-1 on Field #6, and C. J. Edwards and four relievers combined to toss a two-hitter and Rubi Silva stroked an RBI single and an RBI double, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) to a 4-1 victory over the Arkansas Travelers (LAA AA affiliate) on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Tennessee 3B Kris Bryant left the game in the bottom of the third inning after being hit on the foot with a pitch.
RF Jorge Soler took BP witb the Tennesse squad but will apparently begin the season on the Smokies 7-day DL, as INF Wes Darvill was moved-up to the Tennessee squad from the Daytona squad to take Soler's slot on the Smokies 25-man Active List.
All of the position players assigned to the Tennessee active roster saw action in the game on Field #3, and all of the Iowa position players except catcher Eli Whiteside, 1B Lars Anderson, and INF Edgar Gonzalez (who apparently will serve as a player-coach) got into the game on Field #6.
Several pitchers and position players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad saw action late in the two games, and six more players have arrived in Mesa from Venezuela, as RHPs Adbert Alzolay and Greyfer Eregua, LHP Alberto Diaz, 3B-1B-C Roney Alcala, and OF Jeffrey Baez and Ricardo Marcano have been assigned to the Cubs Extended Spring Training squad at Riverview Park.
Here are the abridged box scores from this morning's games played at Riverview Park (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 2-5 (1B, P-4, L-8, K, 1B, R, SB)
2. Stephen Bruno, DH #1: 1-5 (F-8, 2B, 6-3, 6-3, L-5, R)
3a. Rubi Silva, RF: 2-4 (1B, 2B, K, 6-3, R, 2 RBI, SB)
3b. Taylor Davis, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
4a. Kris Bryant, 3B: 0-1 (K, HBP)
4b. Anthony Giansanti, PR-DH: 1-2 (1B+E5, K, R)
5. Dustin Geiger, DH-1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, K, 6-3, RBI)
6a. Rafael Lopez, C: 1-2 (3-1, 1B, BB, RBI)
6b. Charlie Cutler, C: 1-1 (1B)
7. Jonathon Mota, 1B-3B: 1-4 (6-3, K, F-7, 1B)
8. John Andreoli, LF:0-2 (BB, K, 5-3, BB, SB)
9. Jeudy Valdez, SS: 0-3 (6-3, P-4, BB, K)
10. Wes Darvill, 2B: 0-4 (K, E-3, L-8, 3-1)
1. C. J. Edwards: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 5 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/FO, 63 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Armando Rivero: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Josh Davis: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Zak Hermans: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Rafael Lopez: 1-1 CS
1a. Matt Szczur, CF: 1-3 (K, 2B, F-8)
1b. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-2 (1B, F-9, R)
2a. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-3 (F-8, 1-3, 1B)
2b. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-2 (K, E-6)
3. Javier Baez, SS-DH: 3-4 (K, 1B, 1B+E5, F-8 SF, 1B, 3 RBI)
4. Josh Vitters, LF: 2-4 (HR, BB, P-6, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
5a. Chris Coghlan, 1B: 1-3 (K, P-6, 1B, BB, R)
5b. Rashad Crawford, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
6a. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 1-2 (P-5, BB, 2B, R, RBI)
6b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6c. Gleyber Torres, PH: 0-0 (BB)
7a. Brett Jackson, RF: 0-4 (4-3, K, 3-U, 3-U)
7b. Mark Malave, PH: (3-U)
8a. Chris Valaika, DH-SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-7, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
8b. Alberto Mineo, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9a. Luis Flores, C: 0-2 (K, F-8)
9b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (BB, E-4, 2 R)
1. Tsuyoshi Wada: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 3/5 GO/FO, 84 pitches (56 strikes)
2. Casey Coleman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 37 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Marcos Mateo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Luis Flores, 0-1 CS
Happ signs w Jays
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!