A's Top Cubs at Papago Park
Dayton Alexander knocked-in two runs with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly, leading the Athletics to a 7-3 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #2 (AKA "Connie Mack Field") at the Papago Park Baseball Facility in Phoenix, AZ.
Eloy Jimenez drove-in two of the three Cub runs with a sharply-hit RBI ground single through the 5.5 hole with two outs in the 1st inning and a two-out bases loaded walk on a 3-2 pitch in the 5th.
The Cub offense collected more walks (8) than hits (3) in the game, while Cub pitchers surrendered more walks (8) than hits (6).
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning affair so that all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their work.
In EXST Cubs roster news, AAA Iowa OF Jae-Hoon Ha (post-2013 broken wrist) has completed his EXST rehab and has rejoined the I-Cubs, and INF Giuseppe Papaccio has been moved up to AA Tennessee.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-4 (K, BB, K, 1B, K, PO)
2a. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, BB, F-8, 2 R, SB)
2b. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 0-1 (K)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF-CF: 0-4 (F-8, K, BB, P-3, 6-3)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, BB, 5-3, K, 2 RBI)
5. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-3 (K, BB, BB, 3-1, K, RBI)
6. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-4 (L-4, 3-U, 3-1, K)
7. Mark Malave, C: 0-3 (BB, K, K, 4-3)
8a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
8b. Roney Alcala, PH-3B: 0-2 (4-3, 4-3)
9a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, F-7, R)
9b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (E-5)
1. Tyler Ihrig: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 24 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Perez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 4 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Frailyn Figueroa: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1 BALK, 2/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
6. Zak Hermans: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
2. P Frailyn Figueroa - E-1 (overthrow on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
3. C Mark Malave - E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 0-1 CS, 1 PB, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 90's
CUBSTER: I would think a cab or a limo would get Motte to the airport faster than a golf cart. The maximum speed of a golf cart is (what?) maybe 15 MPH, which could actually be dangerous on an expressway.
from the Sunday Trib...
Reliever Jason Motte waved as he left the visitor’s clubhouse at Miller Park on a golf cart en route to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona to start a rehab assignment.
Motte has been on the 15-day disabled list since Aug. 24 because of a right shoulder strain, but there’s a possibility he could rejoin the Cubs if they advance deep in the playoffs.
Motte is scheduled to pitch in simulated games and in Instructional League games in Arizona.
8 in a row to end the year...let's do this playoffs thing.
shelby miller (ATL) finishes the season with a win, snapping his 24-game winless streak...because ATL bats are non-existent.
3.02 era, 1.25 whip, 205.1ip, 171K
Totally independent of the Cubs winning or losing today, Dan Haren came into today's game having earned $2M of his potential $3M in performance bonuses for 2015.
By making the start (his 32nd start of the season) he picked up $500K, and he'll get the remaining $500K if he can throw at least 8.2 IP in the game (he was at 181.1 IP coming into the game, and he needs to reach 190 IP to get the remaining $500K),
It's a bit like the old "Bowling for Dollars" TV show, but of course Haren is actually "Pitching for Dollars."
holy crap, MIL is just...awful.
i think he's currently playing for the Santo Domingo Meths. he's an Adderall-Star player there.
I'm longing for a Neifi sighting.
if you have stable/fast internet you can stream with and you don't mind giving up $20 a month check out "sling tv".
TBS, TNT, ESPN 1+2, etc...100% legal.
68 pitches (50 strikes)
love seeing that...especially with the batters doing very little with it.
Yeah, keep him off the playoff roster.
Or, he's looked exactly like Ted Williams.
Lately he hasn't looked like Ted Williams...
Reading between the lines on some of his comments he seems to know his longish swing doesn't play well with a man on third and two outs, and two strikes on him. I doubt a playoff adjustment is happening, just something he'll need to figure out next year. I have this odd feeling he will.
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales 4m4 minutes ago
Bryant leads NL rookies in HRs (26), RBIs (99), 2B (31) and runs (86). Last rookie to reach 26 HR, 99 RBI, 31 2bs, 86 runs and 74 BBs?
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales 4m4 minutes ago
Boston’s Ted Williams in 1939