Cubs & Snakes Split a Pair at Riverview Park
Rony Rodriguez and Eloy Jimenez belted back-to-back RBI doubles, Ricardo Marcano followed with an RBI single, and Tyler Alamo capped the inning with a two-run home run over the LF fence, as the Cubs plated five runs in the 5th en route to a 7-3 victory over the Diamondbacks on Field #5, and Cesar Carrasco doubled twice and reached base on an error and scored three runs, and Dane McFarland and Sergio Alcantara laced two RBI singles a piece to drive-in a combined four runs, as the D'backs defeated the Cubs 5-1 on Field #6, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
SS Elliot Soto (serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) collected three hits (all three hits were singles) and scored a run in the game on Field #5.
Four Cub pitchers on Field #5 combined to strike out 14 Diamondbacks.
The game on Field #6 was called after eight innings.
RHP Dallas Beeler got the start on Field #5, and he labored through 2.2 IP (41 pitches - 31 strikes), allowing two runs on five hits (including three doubles and a triple). He did strike out four, however, and did not issue any walks. Beeler has been battling a "dead arm" since Spring Training, and with a couple of exceptions, has not been able to get his fastball velocity over 89 MPH.
RHRP Kyuji Fujikawa saw his first game action since undergoing elbow ligament replacement surgery (TJS) last May. The veteran closer started the game on Field #6, and was only able to retire one batter (F-8) before leaving the game in the middle of an AB (3-2 count) on the fourth hitter he faced. (He allowed a single and surrendered a walk to the other two hitters). Fujikawa called the trainer, the pitching coach, and his translator out to the mound after his 18th pitch of the inning (a wild pitch), and then after a short discussion, he left the game.
17-year old SS Gleyber Torres had a bad game defensively on Field #6, committing three errors. He muffed two ground balls and dropped a pop fly in shallow CF, the three errors resulting in three unearned runs eventually scoring.
Here is the abridged box score from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, P-6, BB, R, CS)
2. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, K, R)
3. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 1-4 (F-8, F-7, 2B, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-2 (F-9 SF, K, 2B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-4 (F-8, 3-1, 1B, K, R, RBI)
6. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (HBP, 1-3, HR, 6-3, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 1-2 (BB, BB, F-8, 1B, CS)
8. Mark Malave, 1B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 1B, 5-4 FC)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, 6-4 FC, K, RBI, 2 PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Dallas Beeler: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Beeler's first inning was stopped with two outs and a runner at 3rd base
2. David Garner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Michael Wagner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-4 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, LF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, BB, L-8 DP, SB)
2. Kevin Brown, DH: 1-3 (F-7, BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (K, 1B, L-3, 1B)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-4 (K, F-8, K, 4-6-3 DP)
5. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-3 (5-3, K, BB, 1-3)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-2 (3-1, 4-3, BB)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (K, P-6, 1B)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Kyuji Fujikawa: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 GIDP, 5/2 GO/FO, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP. 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 5/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (27 strikes)
NOTE: Hoffner's third inning was stopped with two outs and a runner at 3rd base
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Arnaldo Calero - threw out batter 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.