Fitch Park Was Land of the Giants Today
Hector Mercedes roped a two-run triple to highlight a three-run 6th and Randy Ortiz tripled and singled, scored two runs, and stole a base, leading one squad of Giants to a 9-3 victory on Field #2, and Cristian Otero smacked a two-run triple, singled twice, and scored three runs, Alberto Robles drove-in two runs with an RBI double and an RBI single, and Ryan Jones doubled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the other squad of Giants to a 9-2 victory on Field #3, as the Cubs were swept in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht (two-run triple and a walk), Jacob Rogers (solo HR), Shawon Dunston Jr (single, triple, and a run scored), and Jose Dore (RBI triple and a run scored) provided what Cub offense there was.
Here are the box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, 5-3)
2. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-4 FC, 6-3, SB)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, K)
5. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, F-9, 3B, R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-6, K, 5-3, R)
7. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, BB, 2 RBI)
8. Luis Acosta, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, F-8)
9. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Alberto Mineo, DH #2 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (17 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (22 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 39 pitches (27 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (4)
1. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (dropped throw after 5-4 FC allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
3. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 3B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, 4-3)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 5-3, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, K, R, RBI)
7. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-4 FC, BB)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, F-9)
9. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (5-3, F-7)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Daniel Adrian: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Adrian's inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: (1)
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (three-base fielding error on line single allowed batter to circle the bases and score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)