Fitch Park Was Land of the Giants Today
Hector Mercedes roped a two-run triple to highlight a three-run 6th and Randy Ortiz tripled and singled, scored two runs, and stole a base, leading one squad of Giants to a 9-3 victory on Field #2, and Cristian Otero smacked a two-run triple, singled twice, and scored three runs, Alberto Robles drove-in two runs with an RBI double and an RBI single, and Ryan Jones doubled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the other squad of Giants to a 9-2 victory on Field #3, as the Cubs were swept in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht (two-run triple and a walk), Jacob Rogers (solo HR), Shawon Dunston Jr (single, triple, and a run scored), and Jose Dore (RBI triple and a run scored) provided what Cub offense there was.
Here are the box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, 5-3)
2. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-4 FC, 6-3, SB)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, K)
5. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, F-9, 3B, R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-6, K, 5-3, R)
7. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, BB, 2 RBI)
8. Luis Acosta, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, F-8)
9. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Alberto Mineo, DH #2 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (17 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (22 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 39 pitches (27 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (4)
1. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (dropped throw after 5-4 FC allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
3. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 3B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, 4-3)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 5-3, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, K, R, RBI)
7. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-4 FC, BB)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, F-9)
9. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (5-3, F-7)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Daniel Adrian: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Adrian's inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: (1)
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (three-base fielding error on line single allowed batter to circle the bases and score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Phil, have you heard anything about the condition of Oscar De La Cruz's elbow? Has there been talk of a time table? Is he throwing?
i was distracted for most of the game and also missed the first few innings.
but yeah, any time he makes a good fielding+throwing play on D it's worthy of praise and a trip to pizza hut for a personal pan pizza and $1 worth of songs on the juke box.
seriously, i'll take it.
BTW, CRUNCH, Lester made a nice bh pick-up and toss to Bryant. Did you catch it?
He's been workin' on the D!
j.urias didn't have a good debut...
2.2ip 5h 4bb 3k...3 r/er...1 wp
81 pitches. yow.
Ach - I really only saw it quickly and thought that's where it it. No matter - he crushed it and the video board people did not have to repair the panels from what I saw!
Totally agree with that re Soler, whereas Bryant seems to get the close call (so far) this year.
Good to see Baez get a couple knocks today - been awhile
that works too...there wasnt a good CSN replay...was going off whatever len or jd (dont remember) said.
I was there. From what I saw it was upper third of the scoreboard
No I have been thinking actually that he seems to lead the Cubs with balls called strikes all year. He really shouldn't be expanding his zone to swing at many of those either because it wouldn't lead to anything good. He's seeing the ball well though so hopefully it'll even out.
So why don't the umps like Soler, or am I just imagining it?
Yeah, but he kills lefties.
wow...instant hardcore rain.
it was massive...hit off the bottom of the LF scoreboard.
Projected at 461 ft, with a 108 mph exit velocity - longest Cub HR this year by 20 ft (I think Arrieta had the longest?)
this team is full of horrible walkup music...rizzo uses 'marky mark and the funky bunch' more than he should...which is any at all.
d.ross uses alphaville 'forever young' because lulz.
lastella was using (still might be) 'oh what a night' by the four seasons.
turrible turrible stuff.
cubs lead 1-5, bottom 4.