Cubs & Giants Do the Splits at Riverview Park
Gleyber Torres doubled twice, singled, stole two bases, scored three runs, and drove-in another, Jeffrey Baez drilled two RBI singles, walked, stole four bases, and scored a run, Kevin Brown, drove-in two runs with an RBI triple and a sacrifice fly, doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Roney Alcala hammered an RBI single and an RBI double and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 10-7 victory on Field #6, and Eugene Escalante doubled twice, tripled, drove-in two runs, and scored another, and Matt Pare walloped a two-run home run, helping the Giants win 7-2 on Field #5, as the Cubs and Giants split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Shamil Ubiera collected three hits (a single, a double, and a triple) in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #5, and Julio Pena went 4-4 and drove-in five runs with a two-run HR, a two-run triple, and an RBI single in the Giant loss on Field #6.
The defensive gem of the day was a run-saving diving catch near the LF foul line by Cubs Squad "B" LF Ricardo Marcano.
Six Cub pitchers made their U. S. game debut today, including LHP Andin Diaz (who got the start on Field #5), RHPs Victor Salazar, Yomar Morel, Carlos Llano, and Francisco Carrillo (each of whom worked in relief on Field #5), and LHP Alberto Diaz (who pitched in relief on Field #6).
Here is the abridged box score from the two games (Cubs players only)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (K, K, BB, E-5, R, RBI, SB)
2. Kevin Brown, LF: 2-3 (2B, F-8, F-8 SF, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-3 (1B, BB, 6-3, 1B, R, 2 RBI, 4 SB)
4. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-8, F-7)
5. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-4 (P-5, 2B, 3-1, L-8, R, RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 3-4 (F-9, 2B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI, 2 SB)
7. Eufran Vargas, DH: 0-3 (K, BB, 4-3, K, R)
8. Roney Alcala, 1B: 2-4 (4-3, 2B, F-8, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
9. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, K, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Frailyn Figueroa: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 6 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/FO, 47 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Michael Wagner: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Alberto Diaz: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
CF Charcer Burks - E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 3-U, BB)
2. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, L-4, L-3 DP)
3. Shamil Ubiera, CF: 3-4 (1-3, 2B, 1B, 3B, R)
4. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 2-3 (BB, K, 1B, 2B, RBI)
5. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, K, BB)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, F-7, 6-U FC)
7. Matt Scioscia, DH: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, R)
8. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, 3-1)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-2 (3B, BB, K, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Andin Diaz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 35 pitches (22 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Zak Hermans: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Victor Salazar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 25 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Yomar Morel: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Carlos Llano: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
7. Francisco Carrillo: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Dalfis Ortiz - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. C Erick Castillo - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Overcast & breezy with occasional drizzle & temperatures in the 70's
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.