Cubs & Giants Do the Splits at Riverview Park
Gleyber Torres doubled twice, singled, stole two bases, scored three runs, and drove-in another, Jeffrey Baez drilled two RBI singles, walked, stole four bases, and scored a run, Kevin Brown, drove-in two runs with an RBI triple and a sacrifice fly, doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Roney Alcala hammered an RBI single and an RBI double and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 10-7 victory on Field #6, and Eugene Escalante doubled twice, tripled, drove-in two runs, and scored another, and Matt Pare walloped a two-run home run, helping the Giants win 7-2 on Field #5, as the Cubs and Giants split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Shamil Ubiera collected three hits (a single, a double, and a triple) in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #5, and Julio Pena went 4-4 and drove-in five runs with a two-run HR, a two-run triple, and an RBI single in the Giant loss on Field #6.
The defensive gem of the day was a run-saving diving catch near the LF foul line by Cubs Squad "B" LF Ricardo Marcano.
Six Cub pitchers made their U. S. game debut today, including LHP Andin Diaz (who got the start on Field #5), RHPs Victor Salazar, Yomar Morel, Carlos Llano, and Francisco Carrillo (each of whom worked in relief on Field #5), and LHP Alberto Diaz (who pitched in relief on Field #6).
Here is the abridged box score from the two games (Cubs players only)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (K, K, BB, E-5, R, RBI, SB)
2. Kevin Brown, LF: 2-3 (2B, F-8, F-8 SF, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-3 (1B, BB, 6-3, 1B, R, 2 RBI, 4 SB)
4. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-8, F-7)
5. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-4 (P-5, 2B, 3-1, L-8, R, RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 3-4 (F-9, 2B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI, 2 SB)
7. Eufran Vargas, DH: 0-3 (K, BB, 4-3, K, R)
8. Roney Alcala, 1B: 2-4 (4-3, 2B, F-8, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
9. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, K, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Frailyn Figueroa: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 6 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/FO, 47 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Michael Wagner: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Alberto Diaz: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
CF Charcer Burks - E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 3-U, BB)
2. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, L-4, L-3 DP)
3. Shamil Ubiera, CF: 3-4 (1-3, 2B, 1B, 3B, R)
4. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 2-3 (BB, K, 1B, 2B, RBI)
5. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, K, BB)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, F-7, 6-U FC)
7. Matt Scioscia, DH: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, R)
8. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, 3-1)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-2 (3B, BB, K, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Andin Diaz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 35 pitches (22 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Zak Hermans: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Victor Salazar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 25 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Yomar Morel: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Carlos Llano: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
7. Francisco Carrillo: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Dalfis Ortiz - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. C Erick Castillo - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Overcast & breezy with occasional drizzle & temperatures in the 70's
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed