Rockies Stone Cubs with Long Ball Bonanza
Jaron Shepherd and Correlle Prime smacked solo home runs to highlight a three-run 1st inning, 2012 1st round pick David Dahl blasted a two-run HR to key a three-run 4th, Jared Simon singled, tripled, walked twice, and scored two runs, and Jeff Popick singled twice, doubled, and drove-in a run, leading the Rockies to an 8-2 victory over the Cubs in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 (formerly known as "Field #3") in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht drilled a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the 2nd inning and Trevor Gretzky crushed a 420+ ft solo HR over the right-centerfield fence with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to account for the two Cub runs.
The defensive play of the day was a run-saving diving catch of a sinking line-drive by Rashad Crawford in short CF.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, P-6, SB)
1b. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-1 (2B)
2. Justin Marra, DH #1: 0-2 (K, BB, F-7, BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, P-4, L-8)
4a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (4-3, BB)
4b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (K, P-6)
5. Carlos Escobar, DH #2: 1-4 (2B, K, K, P-3, R)
6a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (5-3, K)
6b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, RBI)
7. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (K, K, P-2, K)
8. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 1-3 (1B, L-9, 1-3, RBI)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, PO)
10. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, 6-4 FC, K)
1. Paul Blackburn: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 53 pitches (28 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 43 pitches (20 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 4th inning was stopped with two outs when Hoffner reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Loiger Padron: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4, Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 33 pitches (23 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error with two outs allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score from 3rd)
2. C Erick Castillo - E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base allowed baserunner to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Erick Castillo: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. RF Garrett Schlecht - batter thrown out 9-4-5 trying to strectch double into triple
2. RF Garrett Schlecht - batter thrown out 9-4 trying to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.
6 pitches, 2 run lead.
So am I. Point remains.
Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.
Mine has been really slow to load -- on different computers from different locations.
Anybody else have issues accessing the site this afternoon/evening?