Alcala Helps Cubs Gain Split with Giants at Riverview
Roney Alcala singled, doubled, and tripled, drove-in two runs, and scored another, Gleyber Torres reached base three times on a triple, a single, and an HBP, and scored a run, Zak Blair ripped an RBI single and an RBI triple, and LHSP Jose Paulino tossed three innings of no run/no hit ball, leading the Cubs to a 9-6 victory over the Giants on Field #6, and Craig Massoni singled and scored in the 7th and clubbed a two-run home run in the 8th as the Giants rallied for four runs over the final three innings to beat the Cubs 4-2 on Field #5, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
RHP Zak Hermans threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball and Eloy Jimenez knocked-in both Cub runs (RBI double in the 1st and RBI single in the 6th) in a losing cause on Field #5.
The 2013 VSL Batting Champion, Roney Alcala is now hitting 461/481/692 in 27 EXST PA, with five doubles and a triple and only two K.
Outfielder Jeffrey Baez collected two more stolen bases today and now has 10 in 10 attempts (0 CS) in just eight EXST games. He also is hitting 322/424/322 (all singles so far, but he tied for the team lead in HR last year at EXST). The 20-year old Baez is bult like an NFL linebacker, with plus-speed, outstanding outfield defense (he can play CF or RF), basestealing acumen, and a good eye at the plate (five walks in 33 PA so far). He could be a star with the Boise Hawks this summer.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (3B, 1B, HBP, F-8, F-9, R, CS)
2. Kevin Brown, DH: 2-5 (1B, 3-1, 1B, P-3, F-7, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-5 (1B, 1B, K, P-4, F-9, R, 2 SB)
4a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-2 (3B, L-7, HBP, R, RBI)
4b. Justin Marra, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B, R)
5. Roney Alcala, 1B: 3-5 (3B, L-7, 1B, 2B, 4-3, R, 2 RBI)
6. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 2-4 (K, 6-3, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
7. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, F-8, HBP, R)
8. Zak Blair, 2B: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 3-U, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (F-9, 3-1, E-6, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/3 GO/FO, 35 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Victor Salazar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/FO, 33 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Alberto Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/FO, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding errror allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed a baserunner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd)
3. 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (throwing error on attenpted 4-6 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
4. P Alberto Diaz - E-1 (two-base throwing error on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd base)
5. LF Arnaldo Calero - E-7 (throwing error after catching pop fly allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (3-U, 4-3, 4-3, K)
2. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 1-3, 5-3, 4-3, R)
3. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 5-3, 1B, BB, R)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 2-4 (2B, K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5a Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (4-3, 2B)
5b. Mark Malave, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (5-3, K, 6-3, K)
7a. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-3 (6-3, F-8, 1B)
7b. Erick Castillo, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8. Matt Scioscia, 1B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, K)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-3 (4-3, K, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Zak Hermans: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Carlos Llano: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/3 GO/FO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 43 pitches (22 strikes)
4. Greyfer Eregua: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 57 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Eregua's second inning was stopped with two outs and runners at 1st & 2nd
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. P Carlos Llano - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Everytime I recall Szcur's bone marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
In what was probably the last start for RHSP Jeremy Null at EXST...
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
There does seem to be something funky about closers pitching in non-save situations -- they never seem to be as effective. But, to your point, there could not have been a save situation in that game, so why not use your best reliever?
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.