Soler Back in Action at Salt River Fields
Oliver Zapata ripped a two-run triple and an RBI single, Adonis Paula singled, doubled, and scored two runs, Rashad Crawford reached base on a double, a walk, and an HBP, and scored three runs, and Trevor Clifton and Hector Perez threw three shutout innings a piece, leading the Cubs to an 8-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Jackrabbit Field, and Ryan Kinsella belted an RBI double and an RBI triple, helping the D'backs rally from a five-run deficit to edge the Cubs 7-6 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Gleyber Torres collected three hits, stole a base, and scored two runs in a losing cause for Squad "A" on Whirlwind Field.
Jorge Soler saw his first game action in almost a month, serving as a DH for Squad "A." He had five Plate Appearances and went 1-4, driving-in two runs with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly, He also reached base on an error, grounded out 5-3, and struck out swinging.
Joel Pineiro got the start for Squad "A" and pitched five innings (60 pitches), surrendering four runs (two earned) on six hits (four singles, a double, and a triple), while allowing no walks and striking out seven.
THE PITCHING LINES FROM JOEL PINEIRO'S FOUR EXST OUTINGS:
4/12 - 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 8/0 GO/FO, 64 pitches (48 strikes)
4/17 - 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 7/2 GO/FO, 66 pitches (43 strikes)
4/22 - 4.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R (7 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 76 pitches (51 strikes)
4/28 - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/FO, 60 pitches (45 strikes)
TOTAL: 17.2 IP, 22 H, 15 R (13 ER), 4 BB, 16 K, 3 WP, 22/9 GO/FO, 74% strikes, 6.62 ERA, 1.53 WHIP
Today was Diamondbacks "Field Trip Day" at Salt River Fields for Maricopa County school children, hence the slightly larger-than normal attendance at the games. I guess it's never too early to get kids interested in Extended Spring Training.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 3-5 (1B, 1B, 6-3, 1B, 6-3, 2 R, SB, CS)
2a. Kevin Brown: LF: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, BB, R)
2b. Zak Blair, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B)
3. Jorge Soler, DH #1: 1-4 (F-8 SF, 1B, 5-3, E-1, K, R, 2 RBI)
4a. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-1 (K, BB, R)
4b. Jeffrey Baez, PH-RF: 0-3 (K, L-6, P-4)
5. Varonex Cuevas: 2B: 0-3 (K, BB, 4-3, F-8, R, RBI)
6. Arnaldo Calero, RF-DH-LF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, F-9, RBI)
7. Roney Alcala, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 3-1, HBP, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-4 (K, K, L-8, F-8)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Joel Pineiro: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/FO, 60 pitches (45 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/0 GO/FO, 37 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Alberto Diaz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 16 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach second base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (HBP, BB, K+WP, K, 2B, 3 R, SB)
2. Oliver Zapata, LF: 2-4 (F-9, 3B, K, BB, 1B, 3 RBI)
3. Shamil Ubiera, DH: 0-4 (F-9 SF, 6-3, 3-U, 5-4 FC, 4-3, RBI, SB)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-5 (K, 5-3, F-9, E-6, K)
5. Adonis Paula, 3B: 2-5 (1B, 2B, F-8,. K, F-8, 2 R)
6. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (BB, 6-3, P-5, BB, F-9, R)
7. Matt Scioscia, 1B: 1-3 (BB, 6-3, 1B, K)
8. Mark Malave, C: 1-4 (6-4 FC, K, 4-6 FC, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, 6-4 FC, 6-3 DP, R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Hector Perez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Victor Salazar: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
On the other hand, Pries won his first start for Iowa, only giving up two HRs in the process. This trade has got some legs yet!
KB now with 0 RBI in his last 10 games and 1 in his last 15, despite having 19 hits in his last 15 games and raising his batting average from .278 to .286 over that span.
Maybe have Zobrist hit 2 and KB hit 4?
Also -- no HR in the last 15 games -- time for a bunch. Starting tomorrow.
Down a run. Fowler on first. Nobody out. KB singles to left, Fowler makes it to third, perfect throw from Cabrera nails KB trying to stretch for 2nd.
So, instead of 1st & 3rd and no out, you have 3rd with one out. It was a perfect throw, but why take the chance with 3-4-5 hitters coming up?
Must be a Cub thing - our lefties can;t get lefties out.
Splitting hairs, but Jake's pitch was poor execution, while KB's play was a poor decision (and the 2nd time he got thrown out trying to stretch in the game). Poor execution happens. Poor decisions are preventable. Speaking of poor decisions -- Baez's steal of 3rd made absolutely no sense.
Didn't Jake cost them the game with a pitch to Frazier?
Missed the play w/Bryant. What happened?
Not a good decision by Bryant in the 9th. That may have cost them the game.
Can we un-do the Montgomery deal? Please?
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?
Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.
...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.
bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.
chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.
i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.
the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.