Giants Double Pleasure with Walk-Off Win at Indian School Park
John Polonius blasted a two-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the 4th to break a 4-4 tie and propel the Giants to a 6-4 victory on Field #1, and Jonathan Jones belted a two-run walk-off double off the LF fence on a 3-0 pitch with two outs in the bottom of the 5th as the Giants edged the Cubs 4-3 on Field #2 (thus sweeping the doubleheader), in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Encarnacion doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Jacob Rogers hammered a solo home run on Field #1, and Reggie Golden slugged a tape-measure two-run HR on Field #2, to provide most of the Cubs offensive highlights.
Originally planned as one ten-inning game, the two teams instead opted to play two games on adjoining fields. Not too surprisingly, both games ended up being five-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-3 (3B, P-2, 2B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, L-4, 3-1, RBI)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, K, R)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 1-2 (2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
6. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 3-1, RBI)
7. Jacob Rogers, RF: 1-1 (HR, BB, R, RBI)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (6-3, 5-4 FC, SB)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Dayan Diaz: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
NOTE: The game was stopped in the bottom of the 5th inning when Diaz reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 1-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, F-8, 2 SB)
3. David Bote, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, F-9, R, SB)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
6. Lance Rymel, DH: 0-2 (5-3, F-8)
7. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, F-8, RBI)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-2 (P-5, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 16 pitches (13 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 0.2 IP: 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play a six-inning intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
Dillon Maples and Kyler Burke were the starting pitchers, and both worked four innings. Maples threw 78 pitches (48 strikes) and allowed three runs on four hits and a walk with six strikeouts and a 5/0 GO/FO, and Burke threw 50 pitches (33 strikes) and surrendered two runs on two hits with two strikeouts and no walks, and a 6/4 GO/FO.
Ryan McNeil was scheduled to pitch in the game (which would have been his first game action in more than two weeks), but he was a late scratch.
Frandy de la Rosa (single, double, and three RBI) and Carlos Escobar (solo HR and a single) were the offensive stars of the game.
Roberto Caro suffered an ankle injury while sliding home safely in the 5th. He had to be helped off the field and then was transported via golf cart to the clubhouse for medical evaluation.
Here is the box score from the intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (K, E-3, BB, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (L-7, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
5. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 1-3, E-4)
6. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (P-5, 5-3, K)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-1 (2B, BB, RBI)
9. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-2 (F-8, P-4)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Carlos Escober, DH #1: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, R, RBI, CS)
2. Roberto Caro, CF-DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
4. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B, 3 RBI)
5. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (3-U, BB, 4-3, R)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, E-3, K+WP)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (5-3, 4-6-3 DP, 1B, RBI)
8a. David Bote, 2B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, RBI, SB)
8b. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-1 (5-3)
9. Brad Zapenas, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-1 (1B, R)
10b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-1 (P-4)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 78 pitches (48 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
2. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 50 pitches (33 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Rodriguez: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Brad Zapenas - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (missed catch on attempted inning-ending 6-4 FC allowed runner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-2 CS
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...
Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!
Dear Baseball Gods--
My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.
jaso has a cycle and 5 rbis...pit leads by 4.
have a nice
bowl of pizza soupdeep dish pizza...or a leisurely walk around the notorious south-side (bring money)...shopping at one of the walmart supercenters...waiting in line to waste $20 at willis tower...
seriously, though...it's chicago, a lot to do. have a dog for lunch, a great dinner, and catch some local comedy.
Strange, because he really seemed to have the Pirates number last year.
Bummer for Jake -- I think this is the first time all year his ERA has been over 3.00, and that will be his number for the year.
Jinx remover -- your trip doesn't have to be for a baseball game -- lots of stuff to do here in town.
Guess they could always try to White Sox (and Bears...sob) approach: Never Rebuild! Seems to work pretty well for them.
3rd time this season he's given up 6+ runs to PIT...only team he's given up 6+ runs to this season.
7 runs is the most he's given up since august 6th in colorado...in 2014.
Over 100 pitches, only the 5th.
coghlan out...got his cleats stuck in the wall attempting a play (failed, but looked great doing it). walking off on his own, precautionary/day-to-day looking stuff...hopefully not worse.
also, jake arrieta is literally worse than hitler. 1-5, bottom 5. ...make that 1-6, bottom 5. ...make that 1-7, bottom 5.
Coghlan crashes into wall and comes up limping, looks like left knee or ankle. Leaves game...
Arrieta inspiring no confidence yet again.