Giants Double Pleasure with Walk-Off Win at Indian School Park
John Polonius blasted a two-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the 4th to break a 4-4 tie and propel the Giants to a 6-4 victory on Field #1, and Jonathan Jones belted a two-run walk-off double off the LF fence on a 3-0 pitch with two outs in the bottom of the 5th as the Giants edged the Cubs 4-3 on Field #2 (thus sweeping the doubleheader), in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Encarnacion doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Jacob Rogers hammered a solo home run on Field #1, and Reggie Golden slugged a tape-measure two-run HR on Field #2, to provide most of the Cubs offensive highlights.
Originally planned as one ten-inning game, the two teams instead opted to play two games on adjoining fields. Not too surprisingly, both games ended up being five-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-3 (3B, P-2, 2B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, L-4, 3-1, RBI)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, K, R)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 1-2 (2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
6. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 3-1, RBI)
7. Jacob Rogers, RF: 1-1 (HR, BB, R, RBI)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (6-3, 5-4 FC, SB)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Dayan Diaz: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
NOTE: The game was stopped in the bottom of the 5th inning when Diaz reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 1-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, F-8, 2 SB)
3. David Bote, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, F-9, R, SB)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
6. Lance Rymel, DH: 0-2 (5-3, F-8)
7. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, F-8, RBI)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-2 (P-5, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 16 pitches (13 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 0.2 IP: 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play a six-inning intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
Dillon Maples and Kyler Burke were the starting pitchers, and both worked four innings. Maples threw 78 pitches (48 strikes) and allowed three runs on four hits and a walk with six strikeouts and a 5/0 GO/FO, and Burke threw 50 pitches (33 strikes) and surrendered two runs on two hits with two strikeouts and no walks, and a 6/4 GO/FO.
Ryan McNeil was scheduled to pitch in the game (which would have been his first game action in more than two weeks), but he was a late scratch.
Frandy de la Rosa (single, double, and three RBI) and Carlos Escobar (solo HR and a single) were the offensive stars of the game.
Roberto Caro suffered an ankle injury while sliding home safely in the 5th. He had to be helped off the field and then was transported via golf cart to the clubhouse for medical evaluation.
Here is the box score from the intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (K, E-3, BB, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (L-7, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
5. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 1-3, E-4)
6. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (P-5, 5-3, K)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-1 (2B, BB, RBI)
9. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-2 (F-8, P-4)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Carlos Escober, DH #1: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, R, RBI, CS)
2. Roberto Caro, CF-DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
4. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B, 3 RBI)
5. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (3-U, BB, 4-3, R)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, E-3, K+WP)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (5-3, 4-6-3 DP, 1B, RBI)
8a. David Bote, 2B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, RBI, SB)
8b. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-1 (5-3)
9. Brad Zapenas, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-1 (1B, R)
10b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-1 (P-4)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 78 pitches (48 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
2. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 50 pitches (33 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Rodriguez: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Brad Zapenas - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (missed catch on attempted inning-ending 6-4 FC allowed runner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-2 CS
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.
heyward with a bit of starlin castro disease...you're great D dude, but you can't range 200ft in all directions even if you're playing CF.
that said, he almost had it...though zobrist or baez should have had it if heyward wasn't coming on at 100mph.
hammel is quite wild today even if he got the first 2 outs on Ks that were result of swinging through stuff not in the zone.
she did fine, fwiw.
bombs were bursting in the air...ramparts were watched...all that stuff.
zoobrest kissed her afterwards and got about 20lbs of the 100lbs of makeup she was wearing on him.
Cards still haven't been punished for hacking, "unlikely" to happen before June draft. http://bit.ly/1U8sEYL
i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register
Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.
Tribune interviews her...
Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??
if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.
I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.