Penalver Four-Hit Day Pain in the Halo for Angels
Carlos Penalver had four hits (an RBI double and three singles) and scored a run, Reggie Golden singled twice, walked, drove-in a run, and scored two more, Mark Malave belted a two-run double and scored a run, and Duane Underwood and Trey Lang combined to throw six shutout innings, leading the Cubs to a 6-1 victory over the Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
With his four hits today, Penalver is now hitting 381/422/524 with three doubles and a triple and only four strikeouts in 45 Cactus League Extended Spring Training Plate Appearances (17 games). He also leads the EXST Cubs in stolen bases with with four (no CS), and has committed only two errors (his second error coming today). The 18-year old Venezuelan was signed by the Cubs as a 16-year old for a reported $550K bonus on July 2, 2010 (the first day of the 2010 International Signing Period), and he is probably the best defensive shortstop in the organization.
Cubs catcher Wilfredo Petit left the game after being struck on the back of his left hand on a Catcher's Interference error in the top of the 8th. This was Petit's second Catcher's Interference error this Spring, and while it is a fairly rare occurrence, some catchers have more of a problem with it than do others. Catcher's Interference is when the catcher's glove interferes with the batter's swing, and it usually happens when a catcher sets up too close to the batter and/or when the catcher tries to reach forward too far to catch a breaking ball or off-speed pitch.
Petit was transported to the hospital for evaluation, but it looked like he probably has a broken hand.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 4-4 (1B, 1B+E9, 1B, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
1b. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-1 (E-3)
2a. Danny Lockhart, 2B-DH: 1-3 (L-6 DP, 3-1, BB, 1B)
2b. Justin Marra, PH: 0-1 (6-4 FC)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, 1B, K, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 1B: 1-3 (BB, F-8, K, 1B)
5a. Reggie Golden, DH: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
5b. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-1 (K)
6a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, P-4)
6b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
7. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 1-4 (F-7, P-4, 1B, F-7, R)
8. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-4 (F-9, 4-3, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
9a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, F-8)
9b. Lance Rymel, C: 1-1 (2B)
1. Duane Underwood: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 60 pitches (33 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Trey Lang: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 34 pitches (21 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
3. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Wilfredo Petit - E-2 (Catcher's Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 2-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Turn off the TV, and good things happen. back to work.
Folks, the local watering hole calls.
I LOVE YOU
Was there, MC ignored me, left >:(
That was a bad first inning.
is anyone on parachat?
Battle through Jason, get to the fifth giving up only those two, Cubs will be alright.
Carlos_RM: This Piscotty fellow...
Carlos_RM: He's not likeable
Well, at least it took Hammel 2 batters to give up a first inning run.
Worst nightmare realized in under 3 minutes.
I'm so anxious I can hardly stare at my screen pretending to work.
Harry Caray video for 7th inning at stretch today! I support this completely.
Maybe he would also be willing to pitch pitches #2 through 80 as well...
Kerry Wood first pitch