Diamondbacks Roll a Seven Come 11 at Fitch Park
Yorman Garcia belted a three-run HR to turn a 4-3 deficit into a 6-4 lead, Wagner Mateo tripled, singled twice, drove-in two runs, and scored another, and Karl Triana tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball, leading the Diamondbacks to a 7-4 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ
Shawon Dunston Jr ripped an RBI triple, singled, walked, reached base on an HBP, stole a base, and scored a run for the Cubs.
Steve Clevenger was a DH for the Cubs and batted four times, hitting once in each of the first four innings. He popped out to the third-baseman in the 1st inning, drew a walk on a 3-2 pitch in the 2nd, drilled an RBI double off the fence in right-centerfield in the 3rd inning, and flied out to the centerfielder in the 4th.
Instead of playing two seven-inning games (as they usually do when they play each other), the Cubs and D'backs opted to play one 11-inning game. However, the umpires didn't get the message, so four umps showed up (ostensibly two for each game), and they ended up working as a four-man crew for the one game (something you don't see very often in an Extended Spring Training game).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Steve Clevenger, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, BB, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,and 4th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 3B, BB, F-8, HBP, R, RBI, SB)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (P-3, L-8 SF, F-9, BB, 4-3, RBI)
3a. Yasiel Balaguert, LF 0-3 (K, F-9, 5-4 FC)
3b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (P-4, P-5)
4a. Jose Dore, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, K, CS)
4b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
5a. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-7)
5b. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-2 (E-7, F-8)
6a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-4 (FC, K, 1B, 6-U FC)
6b. Lance Rymel, PH: 0-1 (K)
7a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (4-3 DP, 2B, 4-6-3 DP, R)
7b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-0 (HBP)
8a. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-U, BB)
8b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-9, 4-3, R, RBI, CS)
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (35 strikes), 4/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 42 pitches (25 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 0 K, 31 pitches (15 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Larry Suarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Jeffrey Baez - E-8 (fielding eror on single allowee batter to advance to 2nd base)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
3, 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 2-4 CS
2. Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Jeffrey Baez - runner thrown out 8-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.