Venezuelan Trio Plus Alamo Too Much for A's
Arnaldo Calero (solo HR, two walks, and an HBP) reached base four times, Gleyber Torres (two walks and an RBI single), Bryant Flete (RBI triple, RBI double, and a single), and Tyler Alamo (RBI single, a walk, and an HBP) reached base three times a piece, and the foursome combined to collect five RBI and score five runs, leading the Cubs to an 8-5 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #2 (AKA "Connie Mack Field") at the Papago Baseball Complex in Phoenix, AZ.
Seongmin Kim belted a bases-clearing three-run double for the A's.
Tennessee Smokies RHP Matt Loosen (on the Restricted List since 5/22 and hasn't pitched since 5/17) got the start for the Cubs today and worked 3.2 IP (69 pitches), allowing three runs (all ER) on two hits and four walks. He retired 11 of the first 13 men he faced before running out of gas (temperature 100+) in the bottom of the 4th.
RHP Trey Lang (Cubs 2012 6th round draft pick - Gateway CC) walked four consecutive batters in the bottom of the 7th before being relieved. Lang has now appeared in 11 Cactus League EXST games so far in 2014... COMBINED LINE: 16.1 IP, 23 H, 18 R (17 ER), 21 BB, 16 K, 2 HBP, 8 WP, 314 pitches (49% strikes), 9.37 ERA, 2.69 WHIP, .338 OppBA.
In 18 Cactus League EXST games (55 PA), Cubs infielder Bryant Flete is hitting a robust 372/491/442, with one double and one triple, 11/10 BB/K, 8 RUNS, 9 RBI, and two SB (two CS), and has committed four errors (two at SS and two at 2B). The 21-year old Venezuelan has played both 2B and SS at EXST (although 2B is his best position), and he presently leads the team in both AVG and OBP (minimum 48 PA to qualify). So don't be too surprised if Flete wins a spot on the Boise Hawks Opening Day roster, especially if the Cubs opt to keep 17-year old SS Gleyber Torres in Mesa (AZL Cubs) for the summer.
Meanwhile, Torres is hitting a very respectable 272/374/359 in 27 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (108 PA), with 13/20 BB/K, four doubles, two triples, two SB (two CS and two PO), 12 RUNS, and 10 RBI, but he has committed 11 errors.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-3 (BB, K, 5-4 FC, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
2. Bryant Flete, 2B: 3-5 (3B, 6-3, 2B, 1B, K, R, 2 RBI)
3. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-4 (L-8 SF, E-5, K, 6-4 FC, F-8, R, RBI)
4. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 4-3, HBP, R, RBI)
5. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-4 (F-9, 2B, F-8, K, RBI)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B: 1-4 (1B, P-3, 4-3, K)
7. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-3 ((K, K, E-5, 5-3, R)
8. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 2-4 (F-8, F-8, 1B, 1B)
9. Eufran Vargas, DH #2: 0-3 (K, BB, 6-4-3 DP, 6-4 FC, R)
10. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 1-1 (HR, HBP, BB, BB, 2 R, RBI)
1. Matt Loosen: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 4 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 69 pitches (40 strikes)
2. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Francisco Carrillo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (25 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
3B Adonis Paula - E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures 100+