Rockies Rallies Result in a Win and a Tie at Riverview Park
Dillon Thomas blooped a two-out two-run double between three Cub defenders in short right-field in the top of the 5th as the Rockies edged the Cubs 3-2 on Field #5, and Denzel Richardson belted an RBI triple and a single and scored a run to help the Rockies rally from a 4-1 deficit to tie the Cubs 4-4 on Field #6, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, Elliot Soto has completed his 50-game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has been assigned to AA Tennessee. In 18 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (68 PA), Soto hit 333/397/417 with 6/9 BB/K, one double, two triples, 3 SB (0 CS), 12 RUNS, and 5 RBI, while playing outstanding defense at SS.
Also, INF Giuseppe Papaccio has been sent back to Cubs Extended Spring Training from Daytona, and 1B Danny Canela has been sent to Cubs Extended Spring Training from Kane County. Both players were assigned to Squad "A" in the split squad doubleheader, with INF Varonex Cuevas and OF Shamil Ubiera moving from Squad "A" to Squad "B."
And LHP Andin Diaz (hasn't pitched in a Cactus League EXST game since April 23rd) has been assigned to the DSL Cubs, who will begin their 2014 season tomorrow morning versus the DSL Marlins. The 21-year old Diaz spent the previous two seasons pitching in the DSL, but had his career sidetracked for a while by a 50-game PED suspension in August 2012 that carried over into 2013.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (L-3, F-7, P-5)
2. Mark Malave, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, P-4, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 6-3)
4. Danny Canela, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, F-7, RBI)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-7, 2B, R)
6. Justin Marra, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, K, 1-3)
7. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, K, E-5)
8. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-3 (3B, K, K+WP)
9. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K)
10. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-2 (1-U, 1B)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 63 pitches (41 strikes)
2. Luis Hernandez: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 6/0 GO/FO, 53 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Hernandez's third inning was stopped with one out and runner at 3rd base
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. C Mark Malave - E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed baserunner to score unearned run)
2. P Luis Hernandez - E-1 (dropped throw on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
LF Kevin Brown - batter thrown out 7-6-5 trying to stretch double into triple
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, 1B)
2. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-1 (BB, K, BB, R)
3. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-3 (2B, L-7, 1-5 FC, R, RBI)
4. Tyler Alamo, DH: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, RBI)
5. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-7, F-9)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, F-8, R)
7a. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
7b. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 0-1 (5-3)
8. Eufran Vargas, C: 1-3 (1B, 5-4-3 DP, L-6, R)
9. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jeferson Mejia: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/FO, 34 pitches (25 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 7 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Adbert Alzolay: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 19 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Victor Salazar: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eufran Vargas: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.