Rockies Rallies Result in a Win and a Tie at Riverview Park
Dillon Thomas blooped a two-out two-run double between three Cub defenders in short right-field in the top of the 5th as the Rockies edged the Cubs 3-2 on Field #5, and Denzel Richardson belted an RBI triple and a single and scored a run to help the Rockies rally from a 4-1 deficit to tie the Cubs 4-4 on Field #6, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, Elliot Soto has completed his 50-game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has been assigned to AA Tennessee. In 18 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (68 PA), Soto hit 333/397/417 with 6/9 BB/K, one double, two triples, 3 SB (0 CS), 12 RUNS, and 5 RBI, while playing outstanding defense at SS.
Also, INF Giuseppe Papaccio has been sent back to Cubs Extended Spring Training from Daytona, and 1B Danny Canela has been sent to Cubs Extended Spring Training from Kane County. Both players were assigned to Squad "A" in the split squad doubleheader, with INF Varonex Cuevas and OF Shamil Ubiera moving from Squad "A" to Squad "B."
And LHP Andin Diaz (hasn't pitched in a Cactus League EXST game since April 23rd) has been assigned to the DSL Cubs, who will begin their 2014 season tomorrow morning versus the DSL Marlins. The 21-year old Diaz spent the previous two seasons pitching in the DSL, but had his career sidetracked for a while by a 50-game PED suspension in August 2012 that carried over into 2013.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (L-3, F-7, P-5)
2. Mark Malave, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, P-4, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 6-3)
4. Danny Canela, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, F-7, RBI)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-7, 2B, R)
6. Justin Marra, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, K, 1-3)
7. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, K, E-5)
8. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-3 (3B, K, K+WP)
9. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K)
10. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-2 (1-U, 1B)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 63 pitches (41 strikes)
2. Luis Hernandez: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 6/0 GO/FO, 53 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Hernandez's third inning was stopped with one out and runner at 3rd base
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. C Mark Malave - E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed baserunner to score unearned run)
2. P Luis Hernandez - E-1 (dropped throw on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
LF Kevin Brown - batter thrown out 7-6-5 trying to stretch double into triple
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, 1B)
2. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-1 (BB, K, BB, R)
3. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-3 (2B, L-7, 1-5 FC, R, RBI)
4. Tyler Alamo, DH: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, RBI)
5. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-7, F-9)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, F-8, R)
7a. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
7b. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 0-1 (5-3)
8. Eufran Vargas, C: 1-3 (1B, 5-4-3 DP, L-6, R)
9. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jeferson Mejia: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/FO, 34 pitches (25 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 7 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Adbert Alzolay: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 19 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Victor Salazar: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eufran Vargas: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.
Eh, I read it as tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek. VEB seems to have good heads on their shoulders.