Deep-Fried Snakes on Cubs Brunch Menu at Riverview Park
Alberto Mineo (a double and a run scored), Oliver Zapata (an RBI triple and a run scored), Jesse Hodges (an RBI double and a run scored), Kevin Brown (an RBI single and a run scored), and Rashad Crawford (RBI triple) sparked the Cubs to a four-run 2nd inning, Jeffrey Baez belted an RBI triple and a double and scored two runs, and Erick Leal threw five innings of one-run ball, as the Cubs hammered the Diamondbacks 8-2 on Field #5, and Trey Masek and four relievers combined to toss a six-hit shutout and Gleyber Torres singled twice, walked, and drove-in the game's only run, as the Cubs whitewashed the D'backs 1-0 on Field #6, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RF Eloy Jimenez has been assigned to the DSL Cubs.
The 17-year old Jimenez (last year's top-rated July 2 international free-agent) hit 238/270/357 in 24 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (89 PA), with 4/22 BB/K. one HR, five doubles, a triple, and a team-leading 16 RBI. He had a sore arm in Minor League Camp that limited him to DH duty-only until mid-April, and even then he only started eight EXST games in RF. No question his defense needs a lot of work.
But Jimenez caught fire at the plate on May 14th, hitting 360/385/640 over his final seven games (26 PA). He hit his only Cactus League EXST home run in what turned out to be his last EXST game (versus the Angels in Tempe this past Tuesday), when he drove-in four runs with a three-run HR and an RBI single.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-4 (1B, 3B, L-7, K, RBI, SB)
2. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-9, 1B, BB, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-4 (K, 2B, 6-4 FC, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
4. Danny Canela, 1B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, 4-6-3 DP, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (6-3, 2B, RBI)
6a. Oliver Zapata, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
6b. Rony Rodriguez, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
7. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-7, 4-3, 5-3, R, RBI)
8. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, K, 4-3, CS)
9. Giuseppe Papaccio, 2B: 0-4 (K, K, K, F-8)
10. Kevin Brown, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, F-8, 5-3, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 2 PO, 4/4 GO/FO, 71 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Francisco Carrillo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 33 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Giuseppe Papaccio - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-5 (6-3, F-7, 1B, 3-1, F-7)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS; 2-3 (6-3, 1B, 1B, BB, RBI, PO)
3. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 1-4 (1B, 4-6 FC, 6-5 FC, F-9)
4. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-2 (K, HBP, BB, F-8)
5. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (F-9, 3-6-3 DP, K, 4-3)
6a. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (P-6, K, F-8)
6b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, 4-3, 6-3)
7b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8a. Antonio Valerio, DH: 1-2 (BB, F-8, 1B, R)
8b. Arnaldo Calero, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
9a. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (4-3, 2-3, 4-3)
9b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Masek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2/0 GO/FO, 30 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
3. Alberto Diaz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 32 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 4/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 2-2 CS, 2 PO
WEATHER: Sunny and H-O-T with temperatures 100+
I am going tonight, so I am not ok with that.
But, maybe Hendrix will give his patented solid 5 before Richard or Wood comes in...
One can hope.
if you save the lumber from your constant trips to the cross you can build your very own safe space to view my posts.
@billybucks you speak the truth and it's precisely what me and others have been saying for over a year. It's an unfortunate hitch in his game, one that seems correctable, but so far has not been corrected. Also a hitch that is going over 3 seasons now and no one has been able to truly exploit in any meaningful way (except sort of the Royals in that Wild Card game although they stole plenty of bases off the other pitchers in that game and the rest of the playoff teams the rest of that run).
AZBOBBOP: Nothing new on Oscar de la Cruz. Still shut down with elbow issues.
I nominate Sean Rodriguez.
who's this guy being all reasonable and stuff?
pick someone on the board who's literally worse than hitler and start screaming about it. cubs 2016!
It's not pathetic -- it's what we've been waiting for!
Yikes -- I was off the site for a short while and it blew up.
Gentlemen -- it is apparent that Lester has a weakness in his game. Everybody knows about it. He has, apparently, tried to work on it, but without success. Fortunately, he is talented enough that he is able to largely overcome his shortcoming.
I am amazed that other teams don't try to bunt on him, but, as has been said, bunting is not a skill many players have.
Interesting that Hendricks is going tomorrow -- so, he wasn't really "skipped", just moved back a few days so Jake and Lester could deal against the Pirates. I'm OK with that.
PHIL: Thanks for your updates.
One thing that we are seeing come to bear is that Theo's obvious strategy has been to stockpile young, power arms in the lower levels while owning bats that are much nearer to MLB ready - then, buying the arms the org needs in order to be highly competitive.
It's fun to watch the cards shit the bed anytime of the year
I really thought he would be the one getting the call-up. This must be a favor to the player from Theo.
I'm already scoreboard watching and it's only the start of May. How pathetic is that?
Glad to see Hudson having another good outing. He is so impressive for an 18/yo. Surprised to see Shane V. still there. I thought he would be gone this week. I can picture today. Thanks Phil!
stats don't lie. *nods*
2016 Cubs are 0-1 on day after Trans recaps, 20-5 in other games. I enjoy his recaps, but there is a price to pay.