Deep-Fried Snakes on Cubs Brunch Menu at Riverview Park
Alberto Mineo (a double and a run scored), Oliver Zapata (an RBI triple and a run scored), Jesse Hodges (an RBI double and a run scored), Kevin Brown (an RBI single and a run scored), and Rashad Crawford (RBI triple) sparked the Cubs to a four-run 2nd inning, Jeffrey Baez belted an RBI triple and a double and scored two runs, and Erick Leal threw five innings of one-run ball, as the Cubs hammered the Diamondbacks 8-2 on Field #5, and Trey Masek and four relievers combined to toss a six-hit shutout and Gleyber Torres singled twice, walked, and drove-in the game's only run, as the Cubs whitewashed the D'backs 1-0 on Field #6, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RF Eloy Jimenez has been assigned to the DSL Cubs.
The 17-year old Jimenez (last year's top-rated July 2 international free-agent) hit 238/270/357 in 24 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (89 PA), with 4/22 BB/K. one HR, five doubles, a triple, and a team-leading 16 RBI. He had a sore arm in Minor League Camp that limited him to DH duty-only until mid-April, and even then he only started eight EXST games in RF. No question his defense needs a lot of work.
But Jimenez caught fire at the plate on May 14th, hitting 360/385/640 over his final seven games (26 PA). He hit his only Cactus League EXST home run in what turned out to be his last EXST game (versus the Angels in Tempe this past Tuesday), when he drove-in four runs with a three-run HR and an RBI single.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-4 (1B, 3B, L-7, K, RBI, SB)
2. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-9, 1B, BB, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-4 (K, 2B, 6-4 FC, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
4. Danny Canela, 1B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, 4-6-3 DP, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (6-3, 2B, RBI)
6a. Oliver Zapata, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
6b. Rony Rodriguez, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
7. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-7, 4-3, 5-3, R, RBI)
8. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, K, 4-3, CS)
9. Giuseppe Papaccio, 2B: 0-4 (K, K, K, F-8)
10. Kevin Brown, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, F-8, 5-3, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 2 PO, 4/4 GO/FO, 71 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Francisco Carrillo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 33 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Giuseppe Papaccio - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-5 (6-3, F-7, 1B, 3-1, F-7)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS; 2-3 (6-3, 1B, 1B, BB, RBI, PO)
3. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 1-4 (1B, 4-6 FC, 6-5 FC, F-9)
4. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-2 (K, HBP, BB, F-8)
5. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (F-9, 3-6-3 DP, K, 4-3)
6a. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (P-6, K, F-8)
6b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, 4-3, 6-3)
7b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8a. Antonio Valerio, DH: 1-2 (BB, F-8, 1B, R)
8b. Arnaldo Calero, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
9a. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (4-3, 2-3, 4-3)
9b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Masek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2/0 GO/FO, 30 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
3. Alberto Diaz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 32 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 4/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 2-2 CS, 2 PO
WEATHER: Sunny and H-O-T with temperatures 100+
,571 winning percentage in May.
I think they're gonna be OK.
RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.
Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?