Cubs 2014 MLB Rule 4 Draft Negotiation List
Players selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft) are placed on a club's Negotiation List.
In most cases, a player selected by a club in the Rule 4 Draft will remain on the club's Negotiation List until either the player signs, or until 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Friday that falls during the week July 12-18 (whichever comes first), and if a club does not sign a Rule 4 Draft pick by the deadline, the player is removed from the club's Negotiation List and becomes eligible for selection again in the next Rule 4 Draft in which the player would be eligible for selection. The exception to this rule is any college senior with no baseball eligibility left. This class of player remains on the club's Negotiation List until the player signs or until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft (whichever comes first).
Also, any player eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft who is not drafted ("Non-Drafted Free-Agent" or "NDFA") can sign with any club after the conclusion of the draft any time up until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft, unless and until the NDFA enrolls in a junior college or four-year college, in which case MLB Rule 4 Draft eligibility rules apply.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA cannot be signed to a Major League contract.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA can be "Signed for Future Service" (contract is for the following season) if the player signs a contract after July 1st.
A club is not permitted to select a player in the Rule 4 Draft two years in a row, unless the player gives his approval in advance.
CUBS 2014 RULE 4 DRAFT NEGOTIATION LIST (updated 6-7-2014):
1. Kyle Schwarber, C (Indiana U.) - JR
2. Jake Stinnett, RHP (U. of Maryland) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
3. Mark Zagunis, C (Virginia Tech) - JR
4. Carson Sands, LHP (North Florida Christian HS - Tallahassee, FL) - HS (NOTE: Florida State recruit)
5. Justin Steele, LHP (George County HS - Lucedale, MS) - HS (NOTE: Southern Mississippi recruit)
6. Dylan Cease, RHP (Milton HS - Milton, GA) - HS (NOTE: Vanderbilt recruit)
7. James Norwood, RHP (Saint Louis U.) - JR
8. Tommy Thorpe, LHP (U. of Oregon) - JR
9. James Farris, RHP (U. of Arizona) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
10. Ryan Williams, RHP (East Carolina) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
11. Jordan Brink, RHP (Fresno State) - JR
12. Tanner Griggs, RHP (Angelina JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Texas A&M - Corpus Christi if he does not sign)
13. Kevonte Mitchell, 3B (Kennett HS - Kennett, MO) - HS (NOTE: Southeast Missouri State recruit)
14. Chesny Young, 2B (Mercer) - JR
15. Jeremy Null, RHP (Western Carolina) - JR
16. Jason Vosler, SS (Northeastern) - JR
17. Michael Knighton, RHP (Central Alabama CC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Troy if he does not sign)
18. Austyn Willis, RHP (Barstow HS - Barstow, CA) - HS (NOTE: UCSB recruit)
19. Brad Markey, RHP (Virginia Tech) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
20. John Tomasovich, SS (Charleston Southern) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
21. Charles White, OF (U. of Maryland) - JR
22. Joey Martarano, 3B (Boise State) - FR (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
23. Isiah Gilliam, 1B-OF (Parkview HS - Lilburn, GA) - HS (NOTE: DRAFT-ELIGIBLE HS JR)
24. Daniel Spingola, OF (Georgia Tech) - JR
25. Tyler Pearson, C (Texas State) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
26. Zach Hedges, RHP (Azusa Pacific U.) - JR
27. Calvin Graves, OF (Franklin Pierce U.) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
28. Jacob Niggemeyer, RHP (Olentangy Liberty HS - Powell, OH) - HS (NOTE: Ohio State recruit)
29. Gianni Zayas, RHP (Seminole State College) - JC2 (NOTE: Transferred to Seminole State from NC State)
30. Michael Cantu, C (Foy H. Moody HS - Corpus Christi, TX) - HS (NOTE: U. of Texas recruit)
31. Brad Deppermann, RHP (East Lake HS - Tarpon Springs, FL) - HS (U. of North Florida recruit)
32. Andrew Ely, 2B (U. of Washington) - JR
33. Brad Bass, RHP (Lincoln-Way Central HS - New Lenox, IL) - HS (NOTE: Notre Dame recruit)
34. Steven Kane, RHP (Cypress CC) - JC3 (NOTE: Will transfer to U. of Tennessee if he does not sign)
35. Jordan Minch, LHP (Purdue) - SOPH (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
36. D. J. Peters, OF (Glendora HS - Glendora, CA) - HS (NOTE: Cal State - Fullerton recruit)
37. Riley Adams, C (Canyon Crest Academy - San Diego, CA) - HS (NOTE: U. of San Diego recruit)
38. Daniel Wasinger, C (Eastlake HS - El Paso, TX) - HS
39. David Petrino, C (Central Arizona JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Oklahoma State if he does not sign)
40. Diamond Johnson, OF (Hillsborough HS - Tampa, FL) - HS (NOTE: St. Petersburg College recruit)
I'm guessing 3/30 and all the two foot long hot dogs you can eat didn't work
Yes! In a 12-way tie for first!
Blew my prediction! I had them signing Zimmerman and trading for another arm.
Damn wanted Zimmermann
Yeah, this market. Remember when Ted Lilly signed a 4/$40m with the Cubs? It was like "Well, I guess if you can throw a ball, that's what the 3 and 4 starters are all getting." I'm glad I'm not a GM. Of course, they're spending our money...
in this market that seems like a decent deal relative to the market.
given that d.price will probably get 30m-ish a year, 22m for 29yo zimm doesn't seem bad. i wouldn't complain about him suiting up for the cubs. one less option gone...
Zimmermann 5/$110m with Tigers. Youch.
And the updated predications page: http://bit.ly/1NWlEek
Cubs 3B Christian Villanueva (who is out of minor league options) is hitting 358/464/500 for Obregon in the Mexican Pacific League (LMP), and is leading the LMP in OBP, is second in BAvg and walks, is seventh in SLG, and is tied for 8th in HR. He also has struck out only 16 times in 175 PA.
CTSteve, thanks for spelling Zimmermann correctly. We don't need another first baseman.
The media has linked Cueto and the Cubs approximately zero times this winter. I'm thinking there's just not a lot of interest there on the Cubs' part. It seems unlikely.
If the Cubs miss on Price, Grienke, and Zimmerman, they will aim for a mid-rotation starter via free agency or trade. However, I think this scenario also significantly boosts the odds that they extend Arrieta.
The Tigers are going after Zimmermann and the Red Sox will be throwing money at Price. Bringing Cueto back to the NL with the Cubs is looking like a serious possibility. Thoughts?
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe in the financial impact to the Red Sox for not signing Jon Lester early in the free agent process:
It will be interesting to ultimately add up the cost of letting Jon Lester go.
The Red Sox botched up their negotiations with Lester in during spring training of 2014, making an initial offer of $70 million that was roughly $40 million short of what it should have been. Talks broke down and Lester was traded in July.
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing