Cubs 2014 MLB Rule 4 Draft Negotiation List
Players selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft) are placed on a club's Negotiation List.
In most cases, a player selected by a club in the Rule 4 Draft will remain on the club's Negotiation List until either the player signs, or until 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Friday that falls during the week July 12-18 (whichever comes first), and if a club does not sign a Rule 4 Draft pick by the deadline, the player is removed from the club's Negotiation List and becomes eligible for selection again in the next Rule 4 Draft in which the player would be eligible for selection. The exception to this rule is any college senior with no baseball eligibility left. This class of player remains on the club's Negotiation List until the player signs or until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft (whichever comes first).
Also, any player eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft who is not drafted ("Non-Drafted Free-Agent" or "NDFA") can sign with any club after the conclusion of the draft any time up until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft, unless and until the NDFA enrolls in a junior college or four-year college, in which case MLB Rule 4 Draft eligibility rules apply.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA cannot be signed to a Major League contract.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA can be "Signed for Future Service" (contract is for the following season) if the player signs a contract after July 1st.
A club is not permitted to select a player in the Rule 4 Draft two years in a row, unless the player gives his approval in advance.
CUBS 2014 RULE 4 DRAFT NEGOTIATION LIST (updated 6-7-2014):
1. Kyle Schwarber, C (Indiana U.) - JR
2. Jake Stinnett, RHP (U. of Maryland) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
3. Mark Zagunis, C (Virginia Tech) - JR
4. Carson Sands, LHP (North Florida Christian HS - Tallahassee, FL) - HS (NOTE: Florida State recruit)
5. Justin Steele, LHP (George County HS - Lucedale, MS) - HS (NOTE: Southern Mississippi recruit)
6. Dylan Cease, RHP (Milton HS - Milton, GA) - HS (NOTE: Vanderbilt recruit)
7. James Norwood, RHP (Saint Louis U.) - JR
8. Tommy Thorpe, LHP (U. of Oregon) - JR
9. James Farris, RHP (U. of Arizona) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
10. Ryan Williams, RHP (East Carolina) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
11. Jordan Brink, RHP (Fresno State) - JR
12. Tanner Griggs, RHP (Angelina JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Texas A&M - Corpus Christi if he does not sign)
13. Kevonte Mitchell, 3B (Kennett HS - Kennett, MO) - HS (NOTE: Southeast Missouri State recruit)
14. Chesny Young, 2B (Mercer) - JR
15. Jeremy Null, RHP (Western Carolina) - JR
16. Jason Vosler, SS (Northeastern) - JR
17. Michael Knighton, RHP (Central Alabama CC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Troy if he does not sign)
18. Austyn Willis, RHP (Barstow HS - Barstow, CA) - HS (NOTE: UCSB recruit)
19. Brad Markey, RHP (Virginia Tech) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
20. John Tomasovich, SS (Charleston Southern) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
21. Charles White, OF (U. of Maryland) - JR
22. Joey Martarano, 3B (Boise State) - FR (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
23. Isiah Gilliam, 1B-OF (Parkview HS - Lilburn, GA) - HS (NOTE: DRAFT-ELIGIBLE HS JR)
24. Daniel Spingola, OF (Georgia Tech) - JR
25. Tyler Pearson, C (Texas State) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
26. Zach Hedges, RHP (Azusa Pacific U.) - JR
27. Calvin Graves, OF (Franklin Pierce U.) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
28. Jacob Niggemeyer, RHP (Olentangy Liberty HS - Powell, OH) - HS (NOTE: Ohio State recruit)
29. Gianni Zayas, RHP (Seminole State College) - JC2 (NOTE: Transferred to Seminole State from NC State)
30. Michael Cantu, C (Foy H. Moody HS - Corpus Christi, TX) - HS (NOTE: U. of Texas recruit)
31. Brad Deppermann, RHP (East Lake HS - Tarpon Springs, FL) - HS (U. of North Florida recruit)
32. Andrew Ely, 2B (U. of Washington) - JR
33. Brad Bass, RHP (Lincoln-Way Central HS - New Lenox, IL) - HS (NOTE: Notre Dame recruit)
34. Steven Kane, RHP (Cypress CC) - JC3 (NOTE: Will transfer to U. of Tennessee if he does not sign)
35. Jordan Minch, LHP (Purdue) - SOPH (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
36. D. J. Peters, OF (Glendora HS - Glendora, CA) - HS (NOTE: Cal State - Fullerton recruit)
37. Riley Adams, C (Canyon Crest Academy - San Diego, CA) - HS (NOTE: U. of San Diego recruit)
38. Daniel Wasinger, C (Eastlake HS - El Paso, TX) - HS
39. David Petrino, C (Central Arizona JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Oklahoma State if he does not sign)
40. Diamond Johnson, OF (Hillsborough HS - Tampa, FL) - HS (NOTE: St. Petersburg College recruit)
That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.
...and it's a 3 run homer.
hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!
montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.
"Tommy Stokke of FanRag Sports reports Chris Sale was sent home from U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday after cutting up throwback jerseys that he did not want to wear.
I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.
...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?
2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.
nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.
Wow in deed.
FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game
he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.
He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.
At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.
sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.
he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.
Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?
"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."
Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.
seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.
I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.