Cubs 2014 MLB Rule 4 Draft Negotiation List
Players selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft) are placed on a club's Negotiation List.
In most cases, a player selected by a club in the Rule 4 Draft will remain on the club's Negotiation List until either the player signs, or until 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Friday that falls during the week July 12-18 (whichever comes first), and if a club does not sign a Rule 4 Draft pick by the deadline, the player is removed from the club's Negotiation List and becomes eligible for selection again in the next Rule 4 Draft in which the player would be eligible for selection. The exception to this rule is any college senior with no baseball eligibility left. This class of player remains on the club's Negotiation List until the player signs or until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft (whichever comes first).
Also, any player eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft who is not drafted ("Non-Drafted Free-Agent" or "NDFA") can sign with any club after the conclusion of the draft any time up until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft, unless and until the NDFA enrolls in a junior college or four-year college, in which case MLB Rule 4 Draft eligibility rules apply.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA cannot be signed to a Major League contract.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA can be "Signed for Future Service" (contract is for the following season) if the player signs a contract after July 1st.
A club is not permitted to select a player in the Rule 4 Draft two years in a row, unless the player gives his approval in advance.
CUBS 2014 RULE 4 DRAFT NEGOTIATION LIST (updated 6-7-2014):
1. Kyle Schwarber, C (Indiana U.) - JR
2. Jake Stinnett, RHP (U. of Maryland) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
3. Mark Zagunis, C (Virginia Tech) - JR
4. Carson Sands, LHP (North Florida Christian HS - Tallahassee, FL) - HS (NOTE: Florida State recruit)
5. Justin Steele, LHP (George County HS - Lucedale, MS) - HS (NOTE: Southern Mississippi recruit)
6. Dylan Cease, RHP (Milton HS - Milton, GA) - HS (NOTE: Vanderbilt recruit)
7. James Norwood, RHP (Saint Louis U.) - JR
8. Tommy Thorpe, LHP (U. of Oregon) - JR
9. James Farris, RHP (U. of Arizona) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
10. Ryan Williams, RHP (East Carolina) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
11. Jordan Brink, RHP (Fresno State) - JR
12. Tanner Griggs, RHP (Angelina JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Texas A&M - Corpus Christi if he does not sign)
13. Kevonte Mitchell, 3B (Kennett HS - Kennett, MO) - HS (NOTE: Southeast Missouri State recruit)
14. Chesny Young, 2B (Mercer) - JR
15. Jeremy Null, RHP (Western Carolina) - JR
16. Jason Vosler, SS (Northeastern) - JR
17. Michael Knighton, RHP (Central Alabama CC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Troy if he does not sign)
18. Austyn Willis, RHP (Barstow HS - Barstow, CA) - HS (NOTE: UCSB recruit)
19. Brad Markey, RHP (Virginia Tech) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
20. John Tomasovich, SS (Charleston Southern) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
21. Charles White, OF (U. of Maryland) - JR
22. Joey Martarano, 3B (Boise State) - FR (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
23. Isiah Gilliam, 1B-OF (Parkview HS - Lilburn, GA) - HS (NOTE: DRAFT-ELIGIBLE HS JR)
24. Daniel Spingola, OF (Georgia Tech) - JR
25. Tyler Pearson, C (Texas State) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
26. Zach Hedges, RHP (Azusa Pacific U.) - JR
27. Calvin Graves, OF (Franklin Pierce U.) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
28. Jacob Niggemeyer, RHP (Olentangy Liberty HS - Powell, OH) - HS (NOTE: Ohio State recruit)
29. Gianni Zayas, RHP (Seminole State College) - JC2 (NOTE: Transferred to Seminole State from NC State)
30. Michael Cantu, C (Foy H. Moody HS - Corpus Christi, TX) - HS (NOTE: U. of Texas recruit)
31. Brad Deppermann, RHP (East Lake HS - Tarpon Springs, FL) - HS (U. of North Florida recruit)
32. Andrew Ely, 2B (U. of Washington) - JR
33. Brad Bass, RHP (Lincoln-Way Central HS - New Lenox, IL) - HS (NOTE: Notre Dame recruit)
34. Steven Kane, RHP (Cypress CC) - JC3 (NOTE: Will transfer to U. of Tennessee if he does not sign)
35. Jordan Minch, LHP (Purdue) - SOPH (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
36. D. J. Peters, OF (Glendora HS - Glendora, CA) - HS (NOTE: Cal State - Fullerton recruit)
37. Riley Adams, C (Canyon Crest Academy - San Diego, CA) - HS (NOTE: U. of San Diego recruit)
38. Daniel Wasinger, C (Eastlake HS - El Paso, TX) - HS
39. David Petrino, C (Central Arizona JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Oklahoma State if he does not sign)
40. Diamond Johnson, OF (Hillsborough HS - Tampa, FL) - HS (NOTE: St. Petersburg College recruit)
BTW, CRUNCH, Lester made a nice bh pick-up and toss to Bryant. Did you catch it?
He's been workin' on the D!
j.urias didn't have a good debut...
2.2ip 5h 4bb 3k...3 r/er...1 wp
81 pitches. yow.
Ach - I really only saw it quickly and thought that's where it it. No matter - he crushed it and the video board people did not have to repair the panels from what I saw!
Totally agree with that re Soler, whereas Bryant seems to get the close call (so far) this year.
Good to see Baez get a couple knocks today - been awhile
that works too...there wasnt a good CSN replay...was going off whatever len or jd (dont remember) said.
I was there. From what I saw it was upper third of the scoreboard
No I have been thinking actually that he seems to lead the Cubs with balls called strikes all year. He really shouldn't be expanding his zone to swing at many of those either because it wouldn't lead to anything good. He's seeing the ball well though so hopefully it'll even out.
So why don't the umps like Soler, or am I just imagining it?
Yeah, but he kills lefties.
wow...instant hardcore rain.
it was massive...hit off the bottom of the LF scoreboard.
Projected at 461 ft, with a 108 mph exit velocity - longest Cub HR this year by 20 ft (I think Arrieta had the longest?)
this team is full of horrible walkup music...rizzo uses 'marky mark and the funky bunch' more than he should...which is any at all.
d.ross uses alphaville 'forever young' because lulz.
lastella was using (still might be) 'oh what a night' by the four seasons.
turrible turrible stuff.
cubs lead 1-5, bottom 4.
Just noticed that Baez's current walk-up song is "Informer" by Snow. Dear God. That's world class bad.