Cubs 2014 MLB Rule 4 Draft Negotiation List
Players selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft) are placed on a club's Negotiation List.
In most cases, a player selected by a club in the Rule 4 Draft will remain on the club's Negotiation List until either the player signs, or until 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Friday that falls during the week July 12-18 (whichever comes first), and if a club does not sign a Rule 4 Draft pick by the deadline, the player is removed from the club's Negotiation List and becomes eligible for selection again in the next Rule 4 Draft in which the player would be eligible for selection. The exception to this rule is any college senior with no baseball eligibility left. This class of player remains on the club's Negotiation List until the player signs or until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft (whichever comes first).
Also, any player eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft who is not drafted ("Non-Drafted Free-Agent" or "NDFA") can sign with any club after the conclusion of the draft any time up until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft, unless and until the NDFA enrolls in a junior college or four-year college, in which case MLB Rule 4 Draft eligibility rules apply.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA cannot be signed to a Major League contract.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA can be "Signed for Future Service" (contract is for the following season) if the player signs a contract after July 1st.
A club is not permitted to select a player in the Rule 4 Draft two years in a row, unless the player gives his approval in advance.
CUBS 2014 RULE 4 DRAFT NEGOTIATION LIST (updated 6-7-2014):
1. Kyle Schwarber, C (Indiana U.) - JR
2. Jake Stinnett, RHP (U. of Maryland) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
3. Mark Zagunis, C (Virginia Tech) - JR
4. Carson Sands, LHP (North Florida Christian HS - Tallahassee, FL) - HS (NOTE: Florida State recruit)
5. Justin Steele, LHP (George County HS - Lucedale, MS) - HS (NOTE: Southern Mississippi recruit)
6. Dylan Cease, RHP (Milton HS - Milton, GA) - HS (NOTE: Vanderbilt recruit)
7. James Norwood, RHP (Saint Louis U.) - JR
8. Tommy Thorpe, LHP (U. of Oregon) - JR
9. James Farris, RHP (U. of Arizona) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
10. Ryan Williams, RHP (East Carolina) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
11. Jordan Brink, RHP (Fresno State) - JR
12. Tanner Griggs, RHP (Angelina JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Texas A&M - Corpus Christi if he does not sign)
13. Kevonte Mitchell, 3B (Kennett HS - Kennett, MO) - HS (NOTE: Southeast Missouri State recruit)
14. Chesny Young, 2B (Mercer) - JR
15. Jeremy Null, RHP (Western Carolina) - JR
16. Jason Vosler, SS (Northeastern) - JR
17. Michael Knighton, RHP (Central Alabama CC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Troy if he does not sign)
18. Austyn Willis, RHP (Barstow HS - Barstow, CA) - HS (NOTE: UCSB recruit)
19. Brad Markey, RHP (Virginia Tech) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
20. John Tomasovich, SS (Charleston Southern) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
21. Charles White, OF (U. of Maryland) - JR
22. Joey Martarano, 3B (Boise State) - FR (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
23. Isiah Gilliam, 1B-OF (Parkview HS - Lilburn, GA) - HS (NOTE: DRAFT-ELIGIBLE HS JR)
24. Daniel Spingola, OF (Georgia Tech) - JR
25. Tyler Pearson, C (Texas State) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
26. Zach Hedges, RHP (Azusa Pacific U.) - JR
27. Calvin Graves, OF (Franklin Pierce U.) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
28. Jacob Niggemeyer, RHP (Olentangy Liberty HS - Powell, OH) - HS (NOTE: Ohio State recruit)
29. Gianni Zayas, RHP (Seminole State College) - JC2 (NOTE: Transferred to Seminole State from NC State)
30. Michael Cantu, C (Foy H. Moody HS - Corpus Christi, TX) - HS (NOTE: U. of Texas recruit)
31. Brad Deppermann, RHP (East Lake HS - Tarpon Springs, FL) - HS (U. of North Florida recruit)
32. Andrew Ely, 2B (U. of Washington) - JR
33. Brad Bass, RHP (Lincoln-Way Central HS - New Lenox, IL) - HS (NOTE: Notre Dame recruit)
34. Steven Kane, RHP (Cypress CC) - JC3 (NOTE: Will transfer to U. of Tennessee if he does not sign)
35. Jordan Minch, LHP (Purdue) - SOPH (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
36. D. J. Peters, OF (Glendora HS - Glendora, CA) - HS (NOTE: Cal State - Fullerton recruit)
37. Riley Adams, C (Canyon Crest Academy - San Diego, CA) - HS (NOTE: U. of San Diego recruit)
38. Daniel Wasinger, C (Eastlake HS - El Paso, TX) - HS
39. David Petrino, C (Central Arizona JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Oklahoma State if he does not sign)
40. Diamond Johnson, OF (Hillsborough HS - Tampa, FL) - HS (NOTE: St. Petersburg College recruit)
j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er
zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8
heyward 0-4 :(
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.