Brewers Pitching Magnifico at Maryvale
Mitch Haniger belted a solo home run with one out in the bottom of the 4th to break a scoreless tie, and four pitchers combined to toss a four-hit shutout, as the Brewers blanked the Cubs 3-0 in Arizona Instructional League action this afternoon at Maryvale Baseball Park Field #7 (AKA “Paul Molitor Field”) in Phoenix.
All four of the Brew Crew pitchers threw the ball well, but the most eye-popping outing of the day was turned-in by RHP Damien Magnifico (Milwaukee's 2012 5th round draft pick out of the U. of Oklahoma), who wowed the dozen-plus scouts in attendance (and Cub hitters) with a fastball that topped-out at 100 MPH.
Cubs pitchers were also imprsssive, allowing just four hits and one walk.
RHP Juan Carlos Paniagua had an especially efficient outing (13 pitches - 11 strikes in 1.2 IP), marred only by a bunt single that was essentially turned into an inside-the-park HR thanks to a three-base throwing error by catcher Wilson Contreras. It was clearly a hit with no play, but that didn’t stop Contreras from picking up the ball and firing it over the head of 6’5 Cub 1st baseman Jacob Rogers and into the RF corner, allowing speedy Angel Ortega to round the bases and score the Brewers third run of the day. (The Brewers second run was equally “scratchy,” a lead-off bunt single followed by a stolen base, a ground out, and a sacrifice fly).
The Cubs drew six more walks today, bringing their four-game BB total to 26. But they also could muster only four hits (all singles), and left 10 men stranded on base, including leaving the bases loaded in the 9th.
It probably didn’t help the Cub cause that Jorge Soler, Albert Almora, Dan Vogelbach, and Chadd Krist did not make the trip to Maryvale. It was their turn to remain at Fitch Park and participate in an Instructional “Camp Day.” (Each of the position players have a “Camp Day” once a week where they do not play in the game that day, instead receiving one-on-one instruction in various phases of the game with the camp’s instructors).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only)
1. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #1: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3 DP, F-9, P-4)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, K, K)
3a. Ben Carhart, DH #2: 0-3 (F-9, 5-4 FC, 4-3)
3b. Lance Rymel, PH: 0-0 (BB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-1 (BB, BB, K, BB)
5a. Rafael Lopez, C: 0-1 (BB, 5-U FC)
5b. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-1 (1B, HBP)
6a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
6b. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
7a. Bijan Rademacher, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
7b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (P-6)
7c. Justin Marra, PH: 0-1 (K)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-3 (F-8, 5-3, F-8)
9a. David Bote, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, K)
9b. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 0-1 (P-4)
10a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-1 (1B, BB)
10b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-1 (1B, SB)
1. Paul Blackburn: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 32 pitches (21 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Duane Underwood: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 33 pitches (22 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Austin Reed: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 33 pitches (20 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
4. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS (4):
1. 2B David Bote - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. C Rafael Lopez - E-2 (dropped pop-up in fair territory allowing batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Stephen Bruno - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Wilson Contreras - E-2 (three-base error on overthrow at 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to score unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Rafael Lopez: 1 E (see above)
2. Wilson Contreras: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and a bit breezy, with temperatures in the upper-90’s
ATTENDANCE: 22 (mostly scouts)
Pretty good pitch by Cahill that Cruz hit, though throwing a breaking ball in the dirt seems like a better option in retrospect.
Cubs need to keep the foot on the gas at the plate. 4 runs won't be enough.
Hey, Johann, don't blame yourself. It's obviously me. He hates bro-- wait, nothing, nevermind.
HAHAHA this is gold.
You have joined room: TCR_Parachat
Welcome to our live chat room!
johann: hey is there a game going on?
Mornington_Crescent has left.
johann: he hates carlos and I both!
I was at the bank drive through during that strike out and yelled so loud I think I scared multiple people in other cars
bullpen vs 5 innings (6 if you count the 4th)...that should make for an eventful rest of the game.
Don't think I've ever seen a crowd go that crazy for a K to end the 4th inning.
This is going to be a long, crazy, afternoon.
Turn off the TV, and good things happen. back to work.
Folks, the local watering hole calls.
I LOVE YOU
Was there, MC ignored me, left >:(
That was a bad first inning.
is anyone on parachat?
Battle through Jason, get to the fifth giving up only those two, Cubs will be alright.
Carlos_RM: This Piscotty fellow...
Carlos_RM: He's not likeable