D'backs Rally for Three in 8th to Edge Cubs
Ronnie Freeman lined a two-out opposite-field RBI single to right to score B. J. Lopez with the go-ahead run, as the Diamondbacks rallied for three runs in the 8th and edged the Cubs 6-5 in Arizona Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
The Cubs earlier had rallied for four runs in the bottom of the 6th to take a 5-3 lead, with a bases-loaded triple by Yasiel Balaguert and a Chadd Krist RBI single the key hits.
The Cubs got the potential tying run as far as 3rd base and the potential go-ahead run to 2nd with no outs in the bottom of the 8th, but Jorge Soler and Jacob Rogers struck out swinging, and Chadd Krist flied out to CF to end the threat.
RHP Dillon Maples got the start for the Cubs and threw 2.2 IP of no hit ball with four strikeouts. He did struggle a bit with his control at the end of his his outing, however, walking the last two men he faced after retiring the first eight in a row.
RHP Juan Carlos Paniagua followed Maples to the hill and was charged with three runs (all earned). Paniagua walked the bases loaded in the top of the 4th, and then Carlos Martinez relieved Paniagua and surrendered a bases-loaded double to Jose Munoz.
Cubs Minor League Pitching Coordinator Dennis Lewallyn has left the organization, taking a minor league coaching position with the Atlanta Braves.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only)
1. Tim Saunders, LF-CF: 1-2 (1B, L-5, HBP, BB, R, SB)
2a. Albert Almora, CF: 0-0 (BB, HBP)
2b. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 2-2 (3B, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
3. Jorge Soler, RF: 0-4 (6-3 DP, L-4 DP, K, K)
4a. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (F-7, 1B)
4b. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K)
5. Chadd Krist, DH #1: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 1B, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-2 (1B, F-8)
6b. Ben Carhart, 3B: 0-1 (P-6, BB)
7a. Marco Hernandez, SS: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI, CS)
7b. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Jesse Hodges, DH #2: 0-4 (5-3, F-9, 5-3, K)
9. David Bote, 3B-2B: 1-2 (HBP, F-8, BB, 1B, SB)
10. Rafael Lopez, DH-C: 1-3 (F-8, BB, 1B, 4-3, R, CS)
11a. Lance Rymel, C-DH: 1-2 (K, 1B, R)
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Dillon Maples: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 41 pitches (24 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 BALK, 34 pitches (17 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (25 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
4. Trey Lang: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 32 pitches (15 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Ryan McNeil: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS (1):
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (errant throw to 1st base attempting to complete 6-3 DP allowed batter to advance to 2nd base - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Lance Rymel: 0-2 CS
2. Rafael Lopez: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and hot with temperatures in the mid-90’s
ATTENDANCE: 18 (mostly scouts)