Vogelbomb Sinks Snakes at Salt River Fields
Dan Vogelbach crushed a towering three-run home run over the right-centerfield fence in the top of the 6th to give the Cubs a 4-2 lead, and a two-run Diamondback rally in the bottom of the 9th fell just a bit short as Nathan Dorris struck out Justin Bianco looking on a 3-2 pitch with the potential tying and winning runs on base, earning the Cubs a 5-4 victory in Arizona Instructional League action at Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale this morning.
In addition to Vogelbach’s Big Fly, Shawon Dunston Jr drilled a double and an RBI single, stole a base, and recorded an outfield assist, and RHP Pierce Johnson threw three innings of one-hit ball.
And FWIW, Vogelbach's mega-dinger came off a LHP (South Bend lefty reliever Keith Hessler).
Stud RHP prospect Archie Bradley started the game for the Diamondbacks and threw two shutout innings (34 pitches - 21 strikes, 1/1 GO/FO), allowing three hits (two singles and a double) and no walks, with three strikeouts (one swinging).
The Cubs drew six more walks today (and three of the players who walked scored), bringing their BB total to 48 in seven AZIL games, including two nine-walk games. (They have not drawn fewer than five walks in any game).
The Cubs have scored 34 runs so far in their first seven Instructs games, and 13 of the 34 runs (38%) were scored by players who reached base on a walk.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only)
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-4 (2B, 1B, 5-3, 4-3, RBI, SB)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-2 (1B, F-7, BB, R, CS)
2b. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
3a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, R)
3b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (F-9)
4. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 1-4 (K, K, HR, F-7, R, 3 RBI)
5a. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-3 (F-7, 4-3, K)
5b. David Bote, SS: 0-1 (5-3)
6a. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
6b. Tim Saunders, RF: 0-1 (F-7)
7a. Chadd Krist, C: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
7b. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-0 (BB, BB, CS)
8. Rafael Lopez, DH #2: 0-3 (K, F-9, K, BB)
9. Ben Carhart, 1B: 1-4 (2B, 5-3, K, 6-U FC, R)
10. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K, BB, R, SB)
1. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (18 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
2. Pierce Johnson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 32 pitches (19 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
3. Paul Blackburn: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Duane Underwood: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Nathan Dorris: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 6 pitches (3 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS (2):
1. 1B Ben Carhart - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS David Bote - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Chadd Krist: 0-2 CS
2. Wilson Contreras: 1-1 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - runner thrown out 8-3-6 trying to advance to 2nd base on RBI single to CF
WEATHER: Sunny and hot with temperatures in the low 90’s
ATTENDANCE: 17 (mostly scouts)
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.