Soler & Vogelbach Supply Cub Power at Papago Park
Jorge Soler and Dan Vogelbach blasted home runs, Chadd Krist singled, doubled, walked, and scored a run, Gioskar Amaya singled, walked, stole a base, scored a run, and drove-in another, and Nathan Dorris collected his second save in successive games by throwing three innings of one-hit shutout ball, leading the Cubs to a 6-1 victory over the Athletics in Arizona Instructional League action this afternoon at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #2 (AKA “Connie Mack Field”) in Phoenix.
Besides hammering a two-run HR down the RF line off RHP Ryan Dull in the top of the 9th, Vogelbach also singled, stole a base, and scored a run in a two-run Cubs 1st inning.
Soler’s HR was a 400+ ft solo blast over the left-centerfield fence in the 6th off RHP Lee Sosa. Soler also drove-in a run with an RBI ground out in the 1st, and singled and scored on Vogelbach’s dinger in the 9th.
Vicmal de la Cruz belted a solo HR for the A’s lone run.
66 students and 15 instructors from MLB Scout School were in attendance at today’s game, and the Cubs and A’s put on a special work-out for the students on Field #1 prior to the game. Both teams performed various drills showcasing the range, arm strength, and throwing accuracy of the outfielders, fielding skills and arm strength of the infielders, and plate-blocking skills and arm strength of the catchers. It was very much like what you might see at a tryout camp, and several of the players seemed to relish showing off their arms and fielding prowess.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only)
1. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (BB, F-9, 1B, 6-3, R, RBI, SB)
2. Albert Almora, CF: 0-4 (K, P-4, P-4, F-7)
3. Jorge Soler, RF: 2-4 (5-3, 6-3, HR, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 6-3, K, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 6-3, K)
6a. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (1B, F-8, F-7, RBI, SB)
6b. Tim Saunders, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Stephen Bruno, DH #1: 1-3 (5-3, K, 1B)
8a. Rafael Lopez, C-DH: 0-1 (5-3)
8b. Trevor Gretzky, PH-DH: 0-1 (F-8)
8c. Ben Carhart, PH: 0-1 (L-3)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K, BB, PO)
10. Chadd Krist, DH #2: 2-2 (1B, 2B, BB, R)
11a. Justin Marra, DH-C: 0-2 (F-8, F-8)
11b. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (F-9)
1. Dallas Beeler: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 51 pitches (34 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Ryan McNeil: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 48 pitches (30 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
3. Nathan Dorris: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (24 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
NOTE: The bottom of the 3rd inning was stopped ("ROLL IT!") with two outs and runners at 1st & 2nd when Beeler reached his pre-planned max pitch limit, and the bottom of the 6th inning was stopped with two outs and a runner at 1st base when McNeil reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and hot with temperatures 100+
ATTENDANCE: 98 (mostly students & instructors from MLB Scout School)