Martin & Hodges Are Batman 1-A & 1-B in 10-8 Cubs Victory
Trey Martin laced three doubles (one line-drive into the LF corner, one line-drive off the left-field fence, and one line drive into the left-center alley), walked, drove-in two runs, and scored another, Jesse Hodges singled twice, doubled, collected two RBI, and scored twice, and Michael Wagner threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball, as the Cubs outlasted the Angels 10-8 in AZ Instructional League action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa.
Martin also commited two tactical baserunning gaffes as the result of being over-aggressive, making the third out at 3rd base in the bottom of the 3rd inning while trying to stretch one of his doubles into a triple, and then getting thrown out 6-5 trying to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base on a routine ground ball to the SS in the bottom of the 6th.
The lanky 20-year old from Georgia missed most of the 2013 season after undergoing shoulder surgery (non-throwing shoulder) in April, and he is just now rounding back into playing shape. Known more as a defensive whiz than an offensive force, Martin has been driving the ball with authority throughout Instructs, a possible indication that the chronic shoulder problem he had may have kept him from reaching his full potential as a hitter.
Cubs 2013 19th round draft pick Will Remillard (Coastal Carolina U.) made his professional game debut today, serving as a DH and going 1-3 with a single and an HBP. Remillard signed with the Cubs right at the July deadline (receiving a $150K "overslot" bonus), but was unable to play during the minor league regular season because of a back injury. FWIW, Remillard was Josh Conway's catcher in college (Conway was the Cubs 4th round draft pick in 2012, and is presently rehabbing from a fractured elbow suffered in an EXST game last May).
RHP (ex-OF) Johermyn Chavez got hammered in his one inning of work, allowing three runs on two doubles, a triple, a single, and a walk. Chavez was converted to a pitcher this past Summer and will be a Rule 55 minor league free-agent (so-called "six-year minor league free-agent") after the World Series, unless he & the Cubs agree to a 2014 minor league successor contract in the meantime.
Kirby Pellant tripled, singled, walked, and scored two runs for the Angels in a losing cause.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 2B, 3-U, 4-3, R)
2. Will Remillard, DH #1: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, HBP, K)
3. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-6, BB, R, SB)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (E-5, 6-4 FC, F-9, P-3, 2 R, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 6-4 FC, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
6. Trey Martin, LF: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 2B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
7. Jordan Hankins, DH #2: 1-3 (F-7 SF, 1B, K, K, R, RBI)
8. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, 6-5 FC, L-9, R)
9. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, F-9 SF, BB, E-6, R, 2 RBI, SB)
10a. Mark Malave, C: 1-2 (K, 1B)
10b. Erick Castillo, C: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 RBI, CS)
1. Michael Wagner: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/5 GO/FO, 36 pitches (25 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 41 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Erick Leal: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 4/3 GO/FO, 29 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Johermyn Chavez: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 25 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Trey Lang: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (two-base throwing error on relay throw to 2nd base on RBI double allowed batter to score unearned run)
2. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Mark Malave: 0-1 CS
2. Erick Castillo: 1-1 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - threw out baserunner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's