Happy Birthday, Z!

Carlos Zambrano turns 24 today. So here's a birthday wish to our favorite web-surfing, muttering, gesticulating, switch-hitting, complete game-throwing, goateed behemoth of a perpetual-Cy Young Award contender. We Love Ya, Z. For some birthday reminiscences, how about these.... Remember when we wondered who would be better, Zambrano or Cruz? Remember the first time we discovered Z was a switch-hitter? ember Z retiring Barry Bonds in an especially tense series in 2003, Z getting all excited, and Barry sulking about it? Here's a question: what should we get Z for his birthday? (photo from http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments)

Comments

(another p.s.: join my small-ball style fantasy rotisserie league at yahoo. league ID 352533 and password rodbeck)

(I'll stop shilling, now.)

Maybe we should send him a printout of all the posts of everyone bitching at him about him getting tossed from too many games....

How about some run support for his next start?

Remember last year when Z had a no-hitter through five, and led off the bottom of the fifth legging out a bunt single?

Happy B-Day Z.

''I'm a horse. They'd have to kill me [to miss a start]. I have to have my arm explode.'' -Z

i was at a game vs col where z homered to center, he went nuts rounding first, and preston wilson lost the ball in the sun, and put his arms upas it wne over his head

Similar Pitchers through Age 23
Ray Culp (983)
Andy Benes (968)
Dizzy Dean (967) *
Bill Gullickson (967)
Mickey Hughes (966)
Jim Maloney (966)
Bill Stafford (965)
Robin Roberts (965) *
Don Sutton (964) *
Dave Rozema (963)

A solid outing from the bullpen? A W? God, I love this guy.

The moment I remember from that series, T, was zambrano catching a soft liner back up the middle with two outs and the bases juiced. I was at that game, it's one of my favorite games I've seen (it's the only time I've seen the opposing left fielder heckled more than the cubs bullpen from my former employer's seats halfway down the third base line).

anyway, Z gave a fist pump after he caught it (it was a pure adrenaline play) and Barry barked some crap back at him. Bonds: 0-1, 2BB (1IBB).

Retrosheet:

I have an idea for a birthday present for Z:

A face picture of Jim Edmonds type to the catchers' chest protector.

Remember the triple that he hit last year? The one with the incredibly graceful dive into third?

I'll always laugh about that.

how bout a big bag of meat? Z is a f--king lion!

carlos zambrano is the man on this team. there are plenty of great players on the cubs squad this year, but for the next decade i believe this club will go as far as zambrano's arm takes them. he's that good, and that young.

god bless you carlos. god bless you.

I would get Z a nylon net for which would not chafe as much when Larry Rothschild has to ride his horse out to the mound to calm him down, and make the tranquilizer darts a little smaller too.

Zambrano is the man...keep wining el loco toro.

Z's best moment was that homer he hit against Wade Miller at Houston in 2003. It was the turning point of the season.

(I remember being pissed that Dusty let Z hit for himself, too.)

Oh wow, the slide he slid on that triple last year, LOL!

I recall Jon Miller (giants pbp guy) being very perturbed about zambrano's "festive demonstration!" after getting bonds on that line-out.

WAs it a lineu-out, and I'm mis-remembering it as a strike out, or were there two different instances? I'm pretty darn sure there was also a K.

That was also the series, if I recall, that one of our SPs plunked Barry.

But yeah, I remember Jon Miller being all upset. Now, of course, he celebrates Zambrano's zest.

Hey, there could be some endorsement opportunities there.... Proctor and Gamble need to think of a Zambrano's Zest line for their soap. That commercial would rule!

we should get him voice recognition software for his computer, so he doesnt have to type

Trans: Retrosheet says that's the only game Z pitched against SF that year, and that was his only AB (two BBs).

It's so comforting to know there are enterprising researchers out there to compensate for my porous memory. Thanks!

• QuietMan 7 hours 50 min ago view
  • FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.

JoePepitone 10 hours 24 min ago view
  • Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Jackstraw 10 hours 35 min ago view
  • White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo

jacos 11 hours 17 min ago view
  • it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."

i chose the classy route.

• Rob G. 11 hours 30 min ago view
  • that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign

• ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ good shit goเฑฆิ sHit๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some good๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshit right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ rightโœ”there โœ”โœ”if i do ฦฝaาฏ so my self ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: สณแถฆแตสฐแต— แต—สฐแต‰สณแต‰) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ euphoric logic !euphoric loGic๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some euphoric๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ป logic right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ปthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ Carl ๐Ÿ”ญ Sagan๐ŸŒŒ๐Ÿ’ซif i do ฦฝaาฏ so gentlemen ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats euPhoric logic right there Richard ๐Ÿ“’ Dawkins๐ŸŽฉ (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘“๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œeuphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ john cena JOhN cEna

• You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.

• my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.

• Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?

• Taboola field is more appropriate.

• we can only hope...

The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.

• I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.

Brick 15 hours 54 min ago view
  • unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....

@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.

• that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.

man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed