Happy Birthday, Z!

Carlos Zambrano turns 24 today. So here's a birthday wish to our favorite web-surfing, muttering, gesticulating, switch-hitting, complete game-throwing, goateed behemoth of a perpetual-Cy Young Award contender. We Love Ya, Z. For some birthday reminiscences, how about these.... Remember when we wondered who would be better, Zambrano or Cruz? Remember the first time we discovered Z was a switch-hitter? ember Z retiring Barry Bonds in an especially tense series in 2003, Z getting all excited, and Barry sulking about it? Here's a question: what should we get Z for his birthday? (photo from http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments)

Comments

(another p.s.: join my small-ball style fantasy rotisserie league at yahoo. league ID 352533 and password rodbeck)

(I'll stop shilling, now.)

Maybe we should send him a printout of all the posts of everyone bitching at him about him getting tossed from too many games....

How about some run support for his next start?

Remember last year when Z had a no-hitter through five, and led off the bottom of the fifth legging out a bunt single?

Happy B-Day Z.

''I'm a horse. They'd have to kill me [to miss a start]. I have to have my arm explode.'' -Z

i was at a game vs col where z homered to center, he went nuts rounding first, and preston wilson lost the ball in the sun, and put his arms upas it wne over his head

Similar Pitchers through Age 23
Ray Culp (983)
Andy Benes (968)
Dizzy Dean (967) *
Bill Gullickson (967)
Mickey Hughes (966)
Jim Maloney (966)
Bill Stafford (965)
Robin Roberts (965) *
Don Sutton (964) *
Dave Rozema (963)

A solid outing from the bullpen? A W? God, I love this guy.

The moment I remember from that series, T, was zambrano catching a soft liner back up the middle with two outs and the bases juiced. I was at that game, it's one of my favorite games I've seen (it's the only time I've seen the opposing left fielder heckled more than the cubs bullpen from my former employer's seats halfway down the third base line).

anyway, Z gave a fist pump after he caught it (it was a pure adrenaline play) and Barry barked some crap back at him. Bonds: 0-1, 2BB (1IBB).

Retrosheet:

I have an idea for a birthday present for Z:

A face picture of Jim Edmonds type to the catchers' chest protector.

Remember the triple that he hit last year? The one with the incredibly graceful dive into third?

I'll always laugh about that.

how bout a big bag of meat? Z is a f--king lion!

carlos zambrano is the man on this team. there are plenty of great players on the cubs squad this year, but for the next decade i believe this club will go as far as zambrano's arm takes them. he's that good, and that young.

god bless you carlos. god bless you.

I would get Z a nylon net for which would not chafe as much when Larry Rothschild has to ride his horse out to the mound to calm him down, and make the tranquilizer darts a little smaller too.

Zambrano is the man...keep wining el loco toro.

Z's best moment was that homer he hit against Wade Miller at Houston in 2003. It was the turning point of the season.

(I remember being pissed that Dusty let Z hit for himself, too.)

Oh wow, the slide he slid on that triple last year, LOL!

I recall Jon Miller (giants pbp guy) being very perturbed about zambrano's "festive demonstration!" after getting bonds on that line-out.

WAs it a lineu-out, and I'm mis-remembering it as a strike out, or were there two different instances? I'm pretty darn sure there was also a K.

That was also the series, if I recall, that one of our SPs plunked Barry.

But yeah, I remember Jon Miller being all upset. Now, of course, he celebrates Zambrano's zest.

Hey, there could be some endorsement opportunities there.... Proctor and Gamble need to think of a Zambrano's Zest line for their soap. That commercial would rule!

we should get him voice recognition software for his computer, so he doesnt have to type

Trans: Retrosheet says that's the only game Z pitched against SF that year, and that was his only AB (two BBs).

It's so comforting to know there are enterprising researchers out there to compensate for my porous memory. Thanks!

• vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.

• m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.

...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.

• I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.

• 2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.

Cubster 8 hours 34 min ago view
  • welcome back fowler.

crunch 9 hours 41 sec ago view
  • More slow news...

Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?

Cubster 9 hours 23 min ago view
  • glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.

.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.

i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).

• CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).

Arizona Phil 11 hours 50 min ago view
  • The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.

Non Roster Invitee 12 hours 1 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.

Arizona Phil 12 hours 4 min ago view
  • Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

chitownmvp01 12 hours 8 min ago view
  • Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"

He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.

Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.

chitownmvp01 12 hours 16 min ago view
  • Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.

Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.

• Arizona Phil 15 hours 39 min ago view