Back by popular demand (okay it was like two people in the comments), it's TCR Friday Notes. I have to admit that I'm a bit burned out by the last few days, so excuse me for this being brief and/or repetitive from stuff in the comments.
- It looks like the O's are interested in Jacque Jones
and they'll kindly take them him off our hands for hidden gem David Newhan.
Oh what's that you say, Newhan isn't very good? Well you'd be right. Hopefully that one is just a cruel joke.
- Speaking of the O's, it's reported they offered 3/48
for Jason Schmidt
, but it wasn't enough to get him to the East Coast. A St. Louis Dispatch blurb said the Cardinals offered 3/39 and were probably willing to go to 3/42.
- Some speculation that the Braves
will just non-tender Marcus Giles
as they're in a bit of a budget crunch and trade interest has been lukewarm on him so far. Some team will end up being very happy that lands him.
- St. Louis Dispatch joins the growing chorus
that Jason Marquis
will be a Cub soon. Larry Rothschild has even gone to see his workouts
and there have been several talks with his agent. Anyone else completely underwhelmed, raise your hands?
- We also have talk about the Cubs pursuing Jeff Suppan
and if it's a decision between signing Suppan and Marquis, well, wait that's not a decision at all. Go get Suppan!
- The same Sun-Times article says the Cubs have been talking to the Nationals about Ryan Church
and Sean Marshall's name has come up. It's said that Carlos Marmol interests the Nationals more though. If true, and that's certainly a big if, why isn' this deal done? That seems like such a no-brainer to me and giving up Marmol instead of Marshall seems like a far better move for us.
- The same article once again quotes Gary Hughes saying that "Cliff Floyd will probably never be off our radar."
- Some humor to get you going for the weekend
, an old top 10 list from Letterman on why the Cubs haven't won a World Series since 1908.
Enjoy the weekend!!!