The first Friday of the New Year, the first edition of TCR Friday Notes for 2007.
- The annual Cubs convention is fast approaching, January 19th to the 21st. I've never been but I hear good things if you like insanely large crowds. I'm supposing though that many of you are going and I'd like to throw two things out there. First, if anyone cares to volunteer as our TCR correspondent, we'd love to have daily reports. You can do it anyway you wish and I suppose it depends on your schedule and Internet access. Either update as the day goes on or just provide a daily recap at the end of the day. The most important element that needs to be covered is the Q&A with Jim Hendry which I believe is on Saturday morning. Never being there I don't recall if it's at the same time as the session with Hendry, but also anything with Lou Piniella or any of the other higher-ups like Oneri Fleita. And it doesn't have to just be one person, if different people want to take different days, that would work as well.
Secondly, if the readers who are going care to meet up, I'm more than happy to help facilitate it any way possible. Someone would have to volunteer to sort of spearhead the whole thing like when and where to meet, but if you need me to post something so everyone is on the same page, just let me know.
- Our friends over at The View From The Bleachers are sponsoring a January writing contest.
You can peruse the details by following the link but the winner gets a copy of The Bill James Handbook, 2007 Edition
. The topic is three predictions for the upcoming Cubs season and the reasoning behind them.
- Speaking of The Bill James Handbook, does anyone own a copy? And if so, can you tell me if includes park factors that are split for left handed and right handed hitters and pitchers? It would help with something I'm trying to write. Of course, if someone knows a website that happens to publish that information, I'll take that too.
- Does anyone have any ideas on a new chat program? Parachat seems fine enough to me despite some annoyances, but might as well take the opportunity to investigate any potential improvements. So if you have any suggestions, drop it in the comments.
- Funny man Ryan Dempster doing his Harry Caray impression:
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qk7CX1Ne4nQ" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
Enjoy the Weekend!!!