Cubs Press Conference Announced

Jim Hendry will be making some sort of announcement at 1:30 CST time today at the Cubs Convention. There's some radio reports from the Score that it will be to announce an extension for Carlos Zambrano in the $16 mil range, years unknown. It's still firmly planted in the rumor stage though. UPDATE: Told you it was a rumor, a mean, vicious rumor at that. It seems the press conference will be about 5th round pick Jeff Samardzija choosing the majesty of baseball over the brutality of football. You can read AZ Phil's post on recent developments in his contract as well. UPDATE #2: We've got all kinds of stories on this now and it appears to be a five year deal for $8 million in guaranteed money. A few reports seem to indicate it could be as high as $9 million and a number of incentives are sure to be included. UPDATE #3: The same ESPN link from above has been modified and says there's likely to be signing bonus that will push the deal in the $10 million range and the Cubs hold options for 2012 and 2013. FINAL UPDATE: Sullivan at the Trib says the bonus is for $2.5 million and he'll get $7.5 million over the next five years. The two club options in 2012 and 2013 could make the final deal worth up to 7 years and $16.5 million. THE FINAL, FINAL UPDATE: Oh yeah, there's a no-trade clause as well. Dumb. Samardzija offered to return the bonus money if he goes back to football. Yeah right!

Comments

Nope, it is to announce Jeff Samardzija is picking baseball

The presser looks to be in regard to Samardzjia foregoing his NFL career to concentrate on baseball. Money is unclear but reportedly something like $9m guaranteed with a ton of incentives.

yeah that looks to be it. NBC affilitate here in South Bend confirmed the story.

Leyland on Neifi "the team might have made a mistake" when it acquired infielder Neifi Perez from the Chicago Cubs in August, telling WDFN-AM (1130) on Thursday that Perez "played terrible" in Detroit.

[...] FOX SPORTS STORY | MVN CUBS | ESPNMAG ARTICLE [...]

• Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.

John Beasley 1 hour 23 min ago view

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 7 hours 36 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 8 hours 2 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.