Cubs Trivia

I told you I'd break these out if something interesting came along. My calendar trivia question today was: "Which Cubs pitcher surrendered Lou Brock's 3,000th career hit, August 13th, 1979?" Please try to answer without a web search.

Comments

I guess Dennis Lamp

DCF is right. I remember painting the bedroom of my apartment drinking beer and watching the game and it was Dennis Lamp. (more of the two latter than the painting by the way)

It was Dennis Lamp. His comment afterwards was "I should send my fingers to the Hall of Fame." Brock had slashed a single off Lamp's hand into left field.

crap, that was quick. Dennis Lamp it is...well done.

I was going to guess Glendon Rusch.

I'm gonna have to go with Dennis Lamp.

Did someone already guess Lamp?

What a bright guess.

Eastern Seaboard Programming Network dot com is doing its offseason wrapup series. Today's was Jayson Stark doing story of the offseason - the Cubs' spending spree.

It's a long and interesting article, here's one part I can't pass up posting, about the Lilly signing:

""I didn't find out until 20 minutes later that I had a problem, so it's not quite the heroic act it's been portrayed to be," Hendry laughed. "But on the nutball side of the story, what am I doing with the phone in my hand at a time like that, anyway?"

The answer: What else would he be doing? Jim Hendry spent the entire offseason with that phone surgically attached to his hand. Obviously."

Obviously?!?! HAHAHA! Obviously someone talked to Jim and obviously noticed some sort of pattern.

Here's the whole story:

I was going to guess Bill Bonham.

Those who listened to the game (not on TV) remeber that Lamp was struck on the leg and missed six weeks.

dennis lamp, I think it was line drive of lamp's ass

Ernie Broglio would have been a really bitter response.

I was at that game.....my dad was a Cardinals fan....ugh.

That made for some happy fun on the way home....friggin' Brock.....

Dennis Lamp always seemed better pitching elsewhere...just like Mike Krukow, Willie Hernandez, Bill Caudill, Donnie Moore, and a cast of thousands in the late 70's early 80's

I once ironically won 4 nice box tickets to Busch Stadium by being the first caller on KMOX to answer that trivia question many moons ago.

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

billybucks 23 min 24 sec ago view
  • There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 2 hours 13 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 2 hours 22 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.

• He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.

• draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.

filter by team.

• Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79

QuietMan 13 hours 53 min ago view
  • Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.

• Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?

On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!

• - The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
    - Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
    - There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
    - We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
    - We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
    EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.

Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
    Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.

• Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?

• I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues

Eric S 17 hours 22 min ago view
  • HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...

• "The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."

Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!

Brick 17 hours 29 min ago view
  • "Drink copiously but responsibly."

Done and done. Thanks for that.

Brick 17 hours 30 min ago view