Match The Ex-Cub To The Excuse

This former Northsider is now feeling as fit as a sub-replacement level fiddle. But that wasn't the case last season:
“(He) fought through a sports hernia all of last season with the Cubs... He underwent surgery for that. Even bigger… he finally underwent an operation to clean out loose bodies in his throwing elbow.”
Any guesses?

Comments

Williams?

Sounds like Mr. Mabry.

loose bodies in the elbow... I hate it when that happens!

Williamson?

I think WorldsGreatestNewspaperStatic is on it. Gotta go with Johnny Mabry, who's looking an awful lot like he's going to break camp with the big club in Colorado.

WGNstatic takes the prize, which, in this case, is suspicion of actually being a John Mabry fan.

The story caught my eye because it suggests either things are terribly uninteresting in the Rockies camp or the mlb.com beat writer covering the team is seriously lacking in story ideas.

Also, I LOVE the notion of "loose bodies in the elbow."

Also, on the injury front:

Can someone explain to me why there are separate 15- and 60-day Disabled Lists? It seems like players are routinely moved from one to the other, without any limitation on the number of slots in either one.

A player on the 60-day DL is removed from the 40-man roster and the team has an open slot to bring someone in. I'm sure there might be some other details to it, but that's the big difference.

Hey what is wrong with being a Mabry fan? For some reason, everytime I see his name I think Andy Griffith and Don Knotts!

Don Knotts... now that I think about it, that pretty much sums up the 2006 season!

Someone last year on the chat had Mabry pegged as looking like your neighbor mowing his lawn.

WGNStat gets my biggest LOL today.

Don Knotts- classic comedy gold. Plus, he's dead. Still appropriate regarding 2006.

huh?

wtf?

Hey there Champ. Maybe you better stop talking for awhile. Maybe sit out for a couple of minutes. Justin

I deleted that particular message. Happy to let him repost it with an explanation of how it's not some obscene stream of conscious post. Otherwise, happy trails.

The post signifies the Cubs as an infant team, a new team that needs to be nurtured until fully developed. In the same that we, as humans, need to be fed, so do the Cubs. As a man of medicine, colostrum is the most beneficial component of breast milk. In this case, colostrum is nothing more than support. Without it, we will have another disappointing season. I cannot produce milk from my loins. As hard as I have tried, I simply cannot do it. Does anybody have a sense of humor??????

may we take unto our breasts the game won today. nurture it, attach to it, so it becomes 120 games one day. as it sucks from our teets colustrum at first, assure it to latch on for that is the worst. next will come milk brewed from my loins, and from this it can earn championship coins. drink it all down, down to the last drop, licking my nipple unitl i beg it to stop

So, you're a lactation consultant?

Ok, fine. It's stupid and verging on incoherent gobblety-gook (verging? I must be feeling patient), but fine.

Except no, it's not a matter of whether or not I have a sense of humor. It's whether or not you are intelligible or just full of it. I have my doubts.

Man, can THAT guy clear a (chat) room.

Justin,

Now THAT is funny!

Justin,

And by THAT I mean what you wrote.

• I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.

Charlie 33 min 4 sec ago view
  • ...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?

2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.

crunch 1 hour 7 min ago view
  • nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.

crunch 1 hour 41 min ago view
  • Wow in deed.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 45 min ago view
  • FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
    Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game

...wow

he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.

crunch 1 hour 50 min ago view
  • He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 55 min ago view
  • At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.

• sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.

he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.

• Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?

"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."

John Beasley 5 hours 7 min ago view
  • Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.

• seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.

• I hope the D and bullpen show up. Cubs haven't had much luck against Davies, and he's been going well lately. A little uncomfortable with the Cards only 6.5 back--feels like they're right on our tails compared to the 11 game lead I've grown accustomed to.

• Cardinals, stop that. Right now.

• In a year or two, a lot of fans are going to point at trading him as a mistake. He'll probably be slashing something like 280/400/480 for Seattle at the time. Of course, by WAR, he'll still be worth less than 3, since we're talking zero defensive value.

John Beasley 11 hours 48 min ago view
  • vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.