Game 43 Recap: Cubs 1, Padres 5
I stayed up for this?
- Floyd with the 1st and 3rd, two out single back up the middle against Peavy, 1-0 Cubs, with Peavy having to throw thirty pitches in the first!
- Hill with 8 straight balls to start the game. Doesn't look like he has it, at all, early on. Escapes the first with only one run scored on an Adrian Gonzalez single.
- Kouzmanoff with an opposite-field HR, 2-1 Padres, in the second.
- Hill hung a curve to Cameron, a real roller, and he hit it a mile into what I think is the upper deck (mezzanine?) in left. 3-1 in the third.
- and Adrian Gonzalez makes it back to back, on another high, flat curve ball.
- Khalil Greene with a pretty fantastic play to end the top of the fifth. Theriot grounds one up the middle, which Greene picks, does a jumping 360 spin and fires to first. The announcers then made it sound as if he had defied the laws of physics, claiming the best baseball fiction writers couldn't have dreamed up such a play. Meh. It was a great play.
- And Cameron with another HR.
- Hill actually has 8 Ks through 6. It's the HR on mistakes that are killing him.
- Peavy out after 6. Had an easy time of it, after the first inning
- Cubs get a 2 out rally going on Heath Bell in the sixth, but ends on a Theriot ground out.
- and again, we rally against Meredith in the 8th. Again, nothing comes of it. Jones grounds out
- I haven't seen most of it, due to mlb's horrible mlb.tv service outages, but Guzman seems to be pitching very well out of relief
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.
Did they ever say or who the PTBNL or cash decision on Rodney was or who was the PTBNL in the Austin Jackson deal was yet? Neither was worth whatever they gave up. Cahill and Richard were the only two good "deadline" deals they made. Hunter (given Lake was the odd man out by far and taking up a roster spot) and Haren weren't worth it.