I stayed up for this?
Game Center, Play by Play, Box Score, Photos, Game Chart
Things to take from this game
1. Lee returns to the Lineup
With Lee hitting third, we also get Soriano hitting first, and Theriot dropped to second. He looked better than his 0 for 5. Maybe that's not saying much.
2. Flattened Hill
Rich Hill looked shaky from the very start. The curve wasn't breaking and the contol wasn't there, and as a result he gave up four HR, two to Cameron. That said, he still struck out 8. In any case, we got in a quick hole against Peavy, which is never a good thing.
3. Missed opportunities
Cubs had several modest two out rallies ended without any results. Most of which I missed, due to a bad mlb.tv connection
4. No Payoff
Overall, a very disappointing game to watch. Got to see Hill give up lots of home runs, the offense sputter, and not even a late-inning rally to keep things interesting as it approaches midnight.
- Floyd with the 1st and 3rd, two out single back up the middle against Peavy, 1-0 Cubs, with Peavy having to throw thirty pitches in the first!
- Hill with 8 straight balls to start the game. Doesn't look like he has it, at all, early on. Escapes the first with only one run scored on an Adrian Gonzalez single.
- Kouzmanoff with an opposite-field HR, 2-1 Padres, in the second.
- Hill hung a curve to Cameron, a real roller, and he hit it a mile into what I think is the upper deck (mezzanine?) in left. 3-1 in the third.
- and Adrian Gonzalez makes it back to back, on another high, flat curve ball.
- Khalil Greene with a pretty fantastic play to end the top of the fifth. Theriot grounds one up the middle, which Greene picks, does a jumping 360 spin and fires to first. The announcers then made it sound as if he had defied the laws of physics, claiming the best baseball fiction writers couldn't have dreamed up such a play. Meh. It was a great play.
- And Cameron with another HR.
- Hill actually has 8 Ks through 6. It's the HR on mistakes that are killing him.
- Peavy out after 6. Had an easy time of it, after the first inning
- Cubs get a 2 out rally going on Heath Bell in the sixth, but ends on a Theriot ground out.
- and again, we rally against Meredith in the 8th. Again, nothing comes of it. Jones grounds out
- I haven't seen most of it, due to mlb's horrible mlb.tv service outages, but Guzman seems to be pitching very well out of relief
Getting settled, appreciation for the Padres' broadcasters, and the camera angle on Floyd. Parachat sounds. Gay child-rearing Flamingo couples. The Giles brothers. (what a nice juxtaposition of topics....) India Pale Ales. Hill's lack of control. Staying up late.
Debating the artistic merit of Cypress Hill. California real-estate market. Winter. Zambrano. Socially acceptable fonts. Fantasy trades.
Vista. Thinking out loud. Unsanitary acts. Puritan sex. Checking people out. The NBA Draft Lottery results.
Search querries leading to TCR. Cubs trivia. Ignoring people.
Why we come to TCR. (The explicit pictures, evidently.) Politics. Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
More politics. Scuffing baseballs. Mitch Hedberg. More TCR search querries. The Nasty Boys.
At what point do we do something else with our evenings? Chatting with Angel Guzman. Drinking with Oscar Robles.
What happened to Cla Meredith's "Y"? Countries visiting TCR. Garden Claws. Reading TCR from your mother's basement. Who is loaded, and why?
Moaning that we stayed awake for this.