Game 43 Thread / Cubs @ Padres (1 of 3)

Comments

dlee, playing batting 3rd...

A. Soriano lf
R. Theriot 2b
D. Lee 1b
A. Ramirez 3b
C. Floyd rf
M. Barrett c
J. Jones cf
C. Izturis ss

Whatever happened to all the buzz about Theriot leading off and Soriano in the 2-hole...?

Eric Patterson with his sixth home run tonight.

Fontenot at second, Cedeno short, Patterson left field.

Good thing Hill regrouped. He almost lost the game in the first inning.

Peavy has 48 pitches through two innings. I hope we continue to wait him and drive up the count.

Soriano didn't take that advice, struck out swinging at two pitches way out of the strike zone.

recent cub teams would now bail out peavy with a 5 pitch inning. let's see...

rich hill - welcome back to earth! yikes.

eli:
"rich hill - welcome back to earth! yikes."

We all knew it was coming I guess. Marquis and Lilly are soon to follow. We couldn't even be a .500 team with those 3 starting pitchers pitching way above their heads. Not a good sign.

if soriano can't catch up with fastballs now, i can't wait to see how he handles them in 5 years!

I feel sick.

I just ready the articles on Cubs.com about all the new changes. I really don't understand most of them. They reak of desperation and not knowing your own players. What was Lou doing during ST??

This team looks like a puzzle that has pieces that just don't fit or are being jammed in trying to fit or the person putting the puzzle together doesn't understand the pieces.

What a clusterf***!!!

anotehr nice effort thus far from Jones. thank god we have his stabilizing veteran presence in the clubhouse.

its almost hard to believe that Jones is hitting .375 with RISP with 2 outs 9/24 with 3 walks and 12 RBI

any idea what the close and late breakout is for jones and RISP 2-outs?

mannytrillo

square pegs trying to fit into round holes

in games close and late he is hitting .269 with a OBP of .296 with 2 RBI

• A left-handed one...

JoePepitone 1 min 47 sec ago view
  • lester going for #20...cubs haven't had a 20 game winner since d.ellsworth in 1963.

crunch 8 min 3 sec ago view
  • J-Hey not finishing with an offensive onslaught.

If Geoff Blum could be a Playoff hero, there is hope still...

• Giants scare me. I think you're wrong about Bumgarner, he would pitch on short rest for Game 2 and then full rest for Game 5. Cueto would go Game 1, then short rest in game 4. Add in some really tough outs in that lineup and I want nothing to do with them. With that rotation they can easily steal a series.

Cards are a tough matchup. The rivalry evens out their comparable lack of talent. And like someone said, they love HRs, which is how to beat the Cubs. The upside is that I would feel really good about Lester twice against STL.

John Beasley 4 hours 36 min ago view
  • j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 20 hours 17 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

Charlie 22 hours 22 sec ago view
  • Who's asking?

jacos 22 hours 2 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 15 hours ago view