Game 43 Thread / Cubs @ Padres (1 of 3)

Comments

dlee, playing batting 3rd...

A. Soriano lf
R. Theriot 2b
D. Lee 1b
A. Ramirez 3b
C. Floyd rf
M. Barrett c
J. Jones cf
C. Izturis ss

Whatever happened to all the buzz about Theriot leading off and Soriano in the 2-hole...?

Eric Patterson with his sixth home run tonight.

Fontenot at second, Cedeno short, Patterson left field.

Good thing Hill regrouped. He almost lost the game in the first inning.

Peavy has 48 pitches through two innings. I hope we continue to wait him and drive up the count.

Soriano didn't take that advice, struck out swinging at two pitches way out of the strike zone.

recent cub teams would now bail out peavy with a 5 pitch inning. let's see...

rich hill - welcome back to earth! yikes.

eli:
"rich hill - welcome back to earth! yikes."

We all knew it was coming I guess. Marquis and Lilly are soon to follow. We couldn't even be a .500 team with those 3 starting pitchers pitching way above their heads. Not a good sign.

if soriano can't catch up with fastballs now, i can't wait to see how he handles them in 5 years!

I feel sick.

I just ready the articles on Cubs.com about all the new changes. I really don't understand most of them. They reak of desperation and not knowing your own players. What was Lou doing during ST??

This team looks like a puzzle that has pieces that just don't fit or are being jammed in trying to fit or the person putting the puzzle together doesn't understand the pieces.

What a clusterf***!!!

anotehr nice effort thus far from Jones. thank god we have his stabilizing veteran presence in the clubhouse.

its almost hard to believe that Jones is hitting .375 with RISP with 2 outs 9/24 with 3 walks and 12 RBI

any idea what the close and late breakout is for jones and RISP 2-outs?

mannytrillo

square pegs trying to fit into round holes

in games close and late he is hitting .269 with a OBP of .296 with 2 RBI

• Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 1 hour 9 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 26 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 5 hours 5 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 5 hours 33 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

Old and Blue 9 hours 8 sec ago view
  • I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 17 hours 34 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 19 hours 19 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 19 hours 28 min ago view