Cubs Trivia

Who was the first member of the Cubs to win a Gold Glove Award?
Web searches are discouraged. Name the year for a bonus point.

Comments

My best guess is Ron Santo and the year would be 1964.

Ryne Sandberg in 1965?

Cesar Izturis? 2008?

Rawlings Gold? 1903?

Daryl Ward? 2007?

Sorry...

For Chad's sake, that should be DarylE.

Michael Barrett 2005

dave, when I read that second post, from the corner of my eye I thought it read "for Christ's sake...".

Perhaps "For Chad's sake" should be instituted as a new curse?

"Of for Chad's sake! It's Kerry WOOD, not Kerry WOODS, dumbass!"

Gold Gloves only awarded since sometime in the mid-50s.

Ken Hubbs? I think won before Santo. Did Ernie win one? I think he did, from reading something Bill James wrote.

agree DCF, I'm voting for Ken Hubbs. If that's the answer we need a link to AZ Phil's tribute to Hubbs

no one's really gotten it yet...

not Ken Hubbs

Now that I've peeked.

Ken Hubbs won in 1962, but he definitely isn't the answer. Randy Hundley won a GG in 1967, even Jody Davis one one!

won one! (excuse the phonetic spelling)

don kessinger?

glenn beckart

tinker

Evers

Chance

"Adam — July 17, 2007 @ 2:06 pm

Ryne Sandberg in 1965?"

Where to begin on this one?

pretty sure Adam was joking there...

someone said it but it didn't seem like their actual answer.

My guess,

Ernie banks and year?

1956?

I looked now too. This is tough.

Award questions like this are always interesting because you have to keep in mind that they haven't awarded all the awards forever. Last year was the 50th year of Gold Gloves, for example. The Cy Young award is somewhat similar; you can't hold it against Warren Spahn that he only won one Cy Young because they didn't offer the award until 1956, which wasn't until he was 15 years into his career.

Ernie Banks it is...the year was 1960.

Webby "Slick" McStretcherton, 1907

I think the Bill James comment I read on Ernie was to the effect that sometimes the gold glove is just awarded to someone because the league lacks a truly dominant player at the position. One of my partners swears that Ernie was a very good shortstop, with good hands and a good arm.

Cub winners

Ernie Banks 1960
Ken Hubbs 1962
Ron Santo 1964-68
Randy Hundley 1967
Glenn Beckert 1968
Don Kessinger 1969-70
Ryne Sandberg 1983-1991
Bob Dernier 1984
Jody Davis 1986
Andre Dawson 1987-88
Greg Maddux 1990-92, 2004-05 (2006 also, began with Cubs)
Mark Grace 1992-93, 1995-96
Derrek Lee 2005

After I guessed, I looked up the real answer. According to B-R.com the first gold gloves weren't given out til 1957. Had I known that I would have guessed a different year, probably. Although I probably would have guessed 1957.

Didn't Bill Madlock win it?

I was going to guess Andy Pafko.

Kendall to start tonight, Bonds still needs to rest his poor legs that cant support all those roided up muscles any more.

That is according to ESPN 1000.

Gabby Hartnet, 1943.

Cubster,

The funnetic spellin I do believe would be 'wun wun'.

• "Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."

crunch 1 hour 6 min ago view
  • Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.

• how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?

• Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd

J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora

Eric S 3 hours 41 min ago view
  • The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.

• Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."

• 9 runs in 4 games. Zobrist slumping. Russell having a tough time. Almora not a contact guy. They miss Fowler big time.

Bring the A-Team back.

• poop.

4 losses in a row for the 1st time this season.

• DRAMA!

• RIP 2016 cubs.

i'll never forget clayton richard throwing that 1 inning that didn't suck.

see you guys next season.

• Yeesh. Shut down innings a thing of the past for the Cubbies

Not the best of nights for Russell - should of nailed Stanton at second on Ross's throw but mishandles it ... so of course Stanton comes around and scores as well

Eric S 21 hours 20 min ago view
  • Guys, I've decided to focus on the first awesome two and a half months instead of this disastrous end to the season. Remember Arrieta's no-no, Contreras's first-ever-pitch HR, all the amazing defensive gems by Baez?

We'll get 'em next year!

Brick 21 hours 20 min ago view
  • David Fuckin Ross!!!

That Baez almost-out defensive play was bonkers.

• 1- brilliant
    2- if miami was a team with decent runners i'd be more scared...or if they get guys on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs
    3- yes...he could use a roid re-up

wow...miami's running game is even weaker than i thought. stolen bases is a lazy way to gauge running quality, but tonight's lineup has 7 SBs on the year and it's only 2 guys. they have 19 total SB and 6 of those are d.gordon...and 6 are ichiro. only 4 guys on the roster all season have successfully stolen a base and 1 is suspended.

• Just brainstorming:
    1) If Cubs are going to play a catcher at 1B, why not just gear him up and call it second home plate and see if they can trick Lester into throwing there every now and again.
    2) Between Lester on the mound, and a catcher at 1B, bunting might be lucrative for the Marlins.
    3) Barry Bonds looks deflated. I mean physically.

Jackstraw 23 hours 33 min ago view
  • Smokies lineup sure could use the help. Promotions of Candalario and Zagunis to Iowa crippled the offense - McKinney's continued power outage not helping things.

Eric S 23 hours 36 min ago view