Cubs Trivia

Who was the first member of the Cubs to win a Gold Glove Award?
Web searches are discouraged. Name the year for a bonus point.

Comments

My best guess is Ron Santo and the year would be 1964.

Ryne Sandberg in 1965?

Cesar Izturis? 2008?

Rawlings Gold? 1903?

Daryl Ward? 2007?

Sorry...

For Chad's sake, that should be DarylE.

Michael Barrett 2005

dave, when I read that second post, from the corner of my eye I thought it read "for Christ's sake...".

Perhaps "For Chad's sake" should be instituted as a new curse?

"Of for Chad's sake! It's Kerry WOOD, not Kerry WOODS, dumbass!"

Gold Gloves only awarded since sometime in the mid-50s.

Ken Hubbs? I think won before Santo. Did Ernie win one? I think he did, from reading something Bill James wrote.

agree DCF, I'm voting for Ken Hubbs. If that's the answer we need a link to AZ Phil's tribute to Hubbs

no one's really gotten it yet...

not Ken Hubbs

Now that I've peeked.

Ken Hubbs won in 1962, but he definitely isn't the answer. Randy Hundley won a GG in 1967, even Jody Davis one one!

won one! (excuse the phonetic spelling)

don kessinger?

glenn beckart

tinker

Evers

Chance

"Adam — July 17, 2007 @ 2:06 pm

Ryne Sandberg in 1965?"

Where to begin on this one?

pretty sure Adam was joking there...

someone said it but it didn't seem like their actual answer.

My guess,

Ernie banks and year?

1956?

I looked now too. This is tough.

Award questions like this are always interesting because you have to keep in mind that they haven't awarded all the awards forever. Last year was the 50th year of Gold Gloves, for example. The Cy Young award is somewhat similar; you can't hold it against Warren Spahn that he only won one Cy Young because they didn't offer the award until 1956, which wasn't until he was 15 years into his career.

Ernie Banks it is...the year was 1960.

Webby "Slick" McStretcherton, 1907

I think the Bill James comment I read on Ernie was to the effect that sometimes the gold glove is just awarded to someone because the league lacks a truly dominant player at the position. One of my partners swears that Ernie was a very good shortstop, with good hands and a good arm.

Cub winners

Ernie Banks 1960
Ken Hubbs 1962
Ron Santo 1964-68
Randy Hundley 1967
Glenn Beckert 1968
Don Kessinger 1969-70
Ryne Sandberg 1983-1991
Bob Dernier 1984
Jody Davis 1986
Andre Dawson 1987-88
Greg Maddux 1990-92, 2004-05 (2006 also, began with Cubs)
Mark Grace 1992-93, 1995-96
Derrek Lee 2005

After I guessed, I looked up the real answer. According to B-R.com the first gold gloves weren't given out til 1957. Had I known that I would have guessed a different year, probably. Although I probably would have guessed 1957.

Didn't Bill Madlock win it?

I was going to guess Andy Pafko.

Kendall to start tonight, Bonds still needs to rest his poor legs that cant support all those roided up muscles any more.

That is according to ESPN 1000.

Gabby Hartnet, 1943.

Cubster,

The funnetic spellin I do believe would be 'wun wun'.

• yes, those hamilton WAR numbers are very reasonable. i'm on your side now based on that biting commentary and reasoning of why he's a 3.5-ish WAR player over a 600 PA season.

those numbers are obviously well deserved and worthy of no scrutiny...none at all. no issue.

crunch 6 min 2 sec ago view
  • Please do not discuss War here. I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.

But yes, whether you support War or Peace...Mike Trout is ridiculously consistent and good.

blockhead25 2 hours 15 min ago view
  • ^^^#WARTruther

• "According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, Tim Tebow's baseball workout Tuesday in Los Angeles will be attended by scouts from "roughly half" of the 30 major league teams."

"One scout told ESPN.com last week that Tebow's swing is so long it might "take out the front row." That's not a good thing."

• MyrtleBeachPelicans [email protected]

The #MBpelicans and @Cubs have extended their PDC through 2020!
    ----
    Carolina League getting 2 new teams too.

QuietMan 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • CF WAR is ridiculous...billy hamilton is pulling a 3.0 WAR somehow...and managed a 2.0 WAR last year (even though he missed a month of the season)...and a 3.7 WAR in 2014.

yeah, a lot depends on how one is doing relative to others at a given position, but WAR is common used (right or wrong) as a blanket comparing all kinds of players.

trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo.

• Rob G. 5 hours 56 min ago view
  • Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo

jacos 8 hours 29 min ago view
  • 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 22 hours 59 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

billybucks 23 hours 17 sec ago view