The Nominees For...

The folks over at Cubscast are doing something they've deemed "The Strodes". A little off-season diversion to recognize some of the best Cubs websites out there. Here are the categories:

Best Cubs Blog – Individual Author
Best Cubs Blog – Multiple Author
Best Cubs Site - Overall - Non-Blog
Best Cubs Rumor Site
Best Cubs Player Site
Best Cubs Humor Site
Best Cubs Merchandise/Memorabilia/Clothing Site
Excellence in Diction – Best Original Cubs-Related Word or Phrase
Lifetime Achievement Award

I mentioned it in the comments yesterday and we've already gotten some readers to nominate us for Best Cubs Site - Multiple Authors, Excellence in Diction (Cubbery) and the Lifetime Achievement Award for Arizona Phil.

While Chad's "Cubbery" sure seems like a runaway winner for Excellence in Diction, I do want to also mention Transmission's "womacked", as in "He really womacked the hell out of that ball". There's probably a few more out there like the Ryan Dempster Experience and so forth, but I'll let you guys do the pimping. "The Joe" nominated Carrie Muskat's mailbag column for Best Humor Site, which I thought was a nice touch.

Also, if you feel that we should be nominated for another category, we'd certainly appreciate it. And of course, if you feel other sites on the world wide web deserve a nomination, drop it in the comments over there.

----------

Also want to menton that Chicago Magazine put us in their top 171 Chicago websites. There were only about 7 other sports-themed sites mentioned and us and GoatRiders of the Apocalypse were the only two that feature mostly Cubs content. Here's the blurb on us:

"Curse, banter, and sound off about how this might be the year at The Cub Reporter, MVN.COM/MLB-CUBS, featuring Cubs-related news, rumors, updates and commentary from bloggers like "Arizona Phil", "Transmission," and "Cubnut."

First, I find it amusing that they must have stumbled onto us during this escapade. Second, apparently me and the good doctor are chopped liver, or, more likely we need more amusing pseudonyms. I'm either going with "Ryn-O-mite!" or "Rob G-Funk" (as suggested by Transmission).
----

In Cubs news, Roch over at the Baltimore Sun says that talks with the Cubs and Orioles are still "active". And we have a random radio rumor that the Cubs and Red Sox have chatted about Coco Crisp.

Otherwise, I vote for Haiku Wednesday in the comments..

Tags:

Comments

• The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

Old and Blue 1 hour 42 min ago view
  • Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 4 hours 35 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 11 hours 32 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 11 hours 45 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 12 hours 34 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 12 hours 38 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 12 hours 47 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.

• Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.

Eric S 15 hours 14 min ago view