The Nominees For...

The folks over at Cubscast are doing something they've deemed "The Strodes". A little off-season diversion to recognize some of the best Cubs websites out there. Here are the categories:

Best Cubs Blog – Individual Author
Best Cubs Blog – Multiple Author
Best Cubs Site - Overall - Non-Blog
Best Cubs Rumor Site
Best Cubs Player Site
Best Cubs Humor Site
Best Cubs Merchandise/Memorabilia/Clothing Site
Excellence in Diction – Best Original Cubs-Related Word or Phrase
Lifetime Achievement Award

I mentioned it in the comments yesterday and we've already gotten some readers to nominate us for Best Cubs Site - Multiple Authors, Excellence in Diction (Cubbery) and the Lifetime Achievement Award for Arizona Phil.

While Chad's "Cubbery" sure seems like a runaway winner for Excellence in Diction, I do want to also mention Transmission's "womacked", as in "He really womacked the hell out of that ball". There's probably a few more out there like the Ryan Dempster Experience and so forth, but I'll let you guys do the pimping. "The Joe" nominated Carrie Muskat's mailbag column for Best Humor Site, which I thought was a nice touch.

Also, if you feel that we should be nominated for another category, we'd certainly appreciate it. And of course, if you feel other sites on the world wide web deserve a nomination, drop it in the comments over there.

----------

Also want to menton that Chicago Magazine put us in their top 171 Chicago websites. There were only about 7 other sports-themed sites mentioned and us and GoatRiders of the Apocalypse were the only two that feature mostly Cubs content. Here's the blurb on us:

"Curse, banter, and sound off about how this might be the year at The Cub Reporter, MVN.COM/MLB-CUBS, featuring Cubs-related news, rumors, updates and commentary from bloggers like "Arizona Phil", "Transmission," and "Cubnut."

First, I find it amusing that they must have stumbled onto us during this escapade. Second, apparently me and the good doctor are chopped liver, or, more likely we need more amusing pseudonyms. I'm either going with "Ryn-O-mite!" or "Rob G-Funk" (as suggested by Transmission).
----

In Cubs news, Roch over at the Baltimore Sun says that talks with the Cubs and Orioles are still "active". And we have a random radio rumor that the Cubs and Red Sox have chatted about Coco Crisp.

Otherwise, I vote for Haiku Wednesday in the comments..

Tags:

Comments

• Classic ending, about 12:11 AM, CST. 5 hours, 3 minutes. Both teams have bases loaded, no out situations in the last inning.

Magic #19.

Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.

Cubster 7 hours 38 min ago view
  • This fucking game

Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.

• #$@!$!@$!@$#@!$@!$!@#!@!

SOLER POWER!

• Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.

• Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?

Javier Baez is the opposite of that.

• on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.

• Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.

Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.

• modern media

@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.

[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.

@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.

---
    Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.

Cubster 10 hours 55 min ago view
  • The Cub offense is in on the con.

1-for-10 so far w/RISP.

billybucks 11 hours 19 sec ago view
  • swing and a miss.

i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*

crunch 11 hours 58 sec ago view
  • This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.

• the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.

• it took you 4 posts to get to this?

have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?

#droppingknowledge #savinglives

• Fwiw, Billy Hamilton's actual WAR numbers that relate to the ones that I posted for Mike Trout are:

• 2014: 2.5
    • 2015: 1.0
    • 2016: 2.6

But by all means #crunchsplain on the stupidity of WAR while exaggerating your points. I can't wait to read more.

• jacos 11 hours 57 min ago view