In Lieu of News

...we have rumors.

Ken Rosenthal throws a few bones out there about the Cubs, including Coco Crisp and Brian Roberts talk. To fill my monthly MVN quota, I will be posting the full excerpts below:

The Cubs do not view Crisp as a viable alternative if they fail to acquire Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts; Crisp's .329 career on-base percentage makes him ill-suited for the top of the order, and the Cubs don't want a center fielder who might block Felix Pie or Tyler Colvin; they would prefer a platoon partner such as the Rangers' Marlon Byrd.

And on Roberts...

Trading Roberts would be the logical next step in the Orioles' tear-down, but even though the team finally is on the verge of sending Erik Bedard to the Mariners, a Roberts deal might not quickly follow. The Orioles and Cubs have spoken infrequently over the past several weeks, sources say, and while some Cubs officials believe that a deal remains possible, others aren't so sure. The Orioles are likely to insist on Pie, a player the Cubs are not willing to move in a package for Roberts ...

At least the last sentence about not willing to move Pie is encouraging.

Comments

• Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 3 hours 45 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 3 hours 59 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 4 hours 48 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 4 hours 52 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 5 hours 1 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.

• Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.

Eric S 7 hours 28 min ago view
  • It's still very early but this game felt very important to me and probably knocked 2 years off my life. Seemed like every inning was big.

• Yes then they moved him two spot then not so much, back batting 7th

jacos 8 hours 15 min ago view
  • This is the exact game that the Cubs would have lost in years past to the Cardinals.