The Ryan Dempster Question

Today, Carrie Muskat asks herself, "Can Dempster make a successful conversion from closer to starter?"
Her answer:

After three seasons as the closer, Dempster is switching back to the rotation for the first time, full-time, since 2002. The right-hander has trained hard this offseason, but it won't be easy to go from one-inning outings to seven or eight. He'll be challenged with the addition of Lieber.

I think Dempster will mostly be challenged by the fact that he is not a very good starting pitcher.
Dempster's career numbers as a starting pitcher only, along with those of another guy who we often kick around:

GS IP
9.3
5.3
3.4
1.2
781

Comments

• Good gravy, was that a much-appreciated top of the first.

Transmission 5 min 10 sec ago view
  • That's a good analogy, bb...  Nice to see tonight's game start with a 104 yard kickoff return TD.

Transmission 7 min 30 sec ago view
  • Grichuk won the game last night but a decent CF would have caught that drive by Ross. Good Cubbery!

Cubster 7 min 44 sec ago view
  • this game is WAY better than last night.

6 run 1st for the cubs...

crunch 9 min 41 sec ago view
  • Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.

billybucks 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • Trouble Boys, the Replacements bio, is a great option. I'm sure Chad loved it.

Tito 2 hours 52 min ago view
  • Amen Brick. What's the point of following early-season games if you can't over-react to them? What, we should be reading books now?

• "Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?"

No, I think you're thinking of Radiohead, The 1975, or Bowie's last album.

Although The National's Greatful Dead tribute is pretty cool.

• I don't think they're any kind of lock, though I do expect they'll make the playoffs.

It's not like I'm glad they've gone 4-8. I just don't think it's time to be all that worried -- just like I didn't think they were going to keep playing .730 ball.

Tito 3 hours 23 min ago view
  • vegas isn't a fan of the game because of how erratic and unpredictable it is.

SF has recently won 3 world series many thought they weren't supposed to win...BOS won a world series recently that they weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs for...favored teams with huge wins have seen 1st round exists...fun times.

• I think they'll be ok too. But having watched this team since the mid-60s, I never think it's time to conclude, well, thank god the drought is over. I've seen/heard way too many people who follow the Cubs say glad we're finally going to win the Series this year. Please. Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?

BobbyD 3 hours 43 min ago view
  • Best record in baseball and largest division lead.

I'm jumping right now!

Tito 3 hours 59 min ago view
  • Can we please stop pointing out how ridiculous it is to panic and start panicking in earnest?

Brick 5 hours 23 min ago view
  • ,571 winning percentage in May.

I think they're gonna be OK.

Tito 6 hours 45 min ago view
  • RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 4 min ago view
  • Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?

BobbyD 9 hours 7 min ago view