TCR Friday Notes (Sports Final Edition)

...for those that missed out on the West Coast scores.

- One of our wonderful readers, "Wolf at the Door" has been burning the midnight oil with all kinds of fancy charts and graphs over at the Wolf-Report. Fantastic stuff. His latest is a comparison of Japanese players making the transition to the majors, although he did forget one player....

- Tadahito Iguchi, who John Dewan points out had remarkably similar numbers to Fukudome in their age 29 seasons in Japan (that was two years ago for Fukudome). Iguchi's first season with the White Sox produced a 278/342/438 line with 15 HR's. That doesn't sound $12M worthy.

- Another Dewan factoid questioning the effectiveness of the Cubs seven-year run as NL strikeout kings.

- I was actually going to mention that same "Stat of the Day" that Cubnut did earlier, but more for the fact that Zambrano has the most plate appearances (84) for a .300 hitter or above without a hit by pitch or a walk in a season (in 2005). I also wanted to note the one about "The Most Average Batters of All Time". Bill Buckner leads the list of hitters with most career plate appearances and an OPS+ between 99 and 101.

- I thought this article was a fun read by Ken Arneson on "How to Defeat a Sabermetrician in an Argument".

- A few weeks back I put up a video of Hendry watching a Felix Pie home run. Here's the clip of the actual moonshot.

Enjoy the weekend....

Comments

• Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.

Hagsag 3 hours 39 min ago view
  • The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 8 hours 48 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 9 hours 2 min ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 13 hours 13 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 14 hours 19 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 14 hours 45 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 15 hours 12 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 16 hours 40 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 18 hours 15 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 19 hours 55 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 19 hours 56 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 19 hours 59 min ago view