TCR Friday Notes

...been doing it clean since 2005.

- The Congressional Hearings were the big topic of the week and I'll add my final two cents. It seems to me now that there are two likely scenarios. In one corner, Roger Clemens is guilty as sin and flat out lying. Or Brian McNamee is the new "Verbal" Kint. He's pieced together all these little snippets of information (team BBQ, B12 injections, things on Clemens's butt, Petitte using HGH, etc) and then he weaved this incredible tale to get him out of jail time. If we see him limping out of the courthouse one day into a waiting car that whisks him away to never be seen again, then I might just believe Clemens. In the meantime, I'm going with guilty as sin.

- While I applaud Zambrano's attempt at humor, there were so many things that could have gotten lost in translation with his little prank today. Hopefully Fukudome has a good sense of humor, because you need one to be around the Cubbies.

- Congrats to Pat Hughes on being named Illinois Sportscaster of the Year. Although it's a limited pool of candidates when you think about it (heck this is Hughes 4th win) and I think just about any sportscaster in Illinois will end up with the honor if they stick around the state long enough.

- I'll be on with Joe Aiello and Brandon Rosage on their podcast, "The Pitch" today. I dont' believe it's live anymore, but the podcast should be available to listen or download sometime later this afternoon. I'll post the link when it becomes available.

Enjoy the holiday weekend....

UPDATE: False alarm on the podcast appearance, going to be pushed back until Tuesday now.

Comments

• Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!

billybucks 1 hour 13 min ago view
  • Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...

JoePepitone 2 hours 18 min ago view
  • Attaboy!

• Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!

rvimpeny 2 hours 34 min ago view
  • Dear Baseball Gods--
    My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
    Sincerely,
    CTSteve

CTSteve 2 hours 35 min ago view
  • Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.

• strop...stawwwp.

jaso has a cycle and 5 rbis...pit leads by 4.

• have a nice bowl of pizza soup deep dish pizza...or a leisurely walk around the notorious south-side (bring money)...shopping at one of the walmart supercenters...waiting in line to waste $20 at willis tower...

seriously, though...it's chicago, a lot to do. have a dog for lunch, a great dinner, and catch some local comedy.

• Strange, because he really seemed to have the Pirates number last year.

Bummer for Jake -- I think this is the first time all year his ERA has been over 3.00, and that will be his number for the year.

• Jinx remover -- your trip doesn't have to be for a baseball game -- lots of stuff to do here in town.

• Guess they could always try to White Sox (and Bears...sob) approach: Never Rebuild! Seems to work pretty well for them.

• 3rd time this season he's given up 6+ runs to PIT...only team he's given up 6+ runs to this season.

7 runs is the most he's given up since august 6th in colorado...in 2014.

• Over 100 pitches, only the 5th.

Brick 3 hours 41 min ago view
  • coghlan out...got his cleats stuck in the wall attempting a play (failed, but looked great doing it). walking off on his own, precautionary/day-to-day looking stuff...hopefully not worse.

also, jake arrieta is literally worse than hitler. 1-5, bottom 5. ...make that 1-6, bottom 5. ...make that 1-7, bottom 5.

• Coghlan crashes into wall and comes up limping, looks like left knee or ankle. Leaves game...

Arrieta inspiring no confidence yet again.

• from a sun-times article that I won't link to so you don't have to bear the ad-loading that will crush your browser

When he left Boston after nine years as general manager, Epstein said he believed in the philosophy espoused by legendary football coach Bill Walsh: essentially that 10 years is a natural shelf life for a high-stress job.