Cub Notes On A Snowy Tuesday

– Gordon Wittenmyer writes in today's Sun-Times that Mark DeRosa's cardiac issues are not a major concern to DeRo or Cub doctors, nor will they be the impetus for any personnel moves by Jim Hendry.

Wittenmyer also thinks the Cubs are more likely to add that
proverbial, right-handed hitting, three-position outfielder before
Opening Day than they are He Who Must Not Be Named.

Baseball Musings sizes up a potential Cubs rotation of Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Dempster, and Marquis (Where is your Lieber?) based on the Marcel the Monkey projections
and foresees a cumulative 4.28 ERA for the fivesome. That's a few ticks
above the 4.19 ERA Cub starters pitched to last season, when their ERA
was second best in the NL, but still pretty solid.

One highly questionable element in the projection: Ryan Dempster's
projected 4.50 ERA. Only once in his career as a starting
pitcher--Dempster's All-Star season in 2000 down in pitcher-friendly
Florida--has Dempster ever had an ERA at or below 4.50.

– Yesterday I offered a semi-synopsis of the Cubs chapter from Baseball Prospectus 2008. Last night the Hardball Times season preview showed up in my mailbox.

Without summarizing the Cubs chapter, I will simply report that there is one, and Joe Aiello of View From The Bleachers does a nice job with the write-up. Also, the book weighs about a third as much as BP08. And it includes cartoons.

– Thanks to all who nominated The Cub Reporter for the various Strode Awards being handed out by the boys at Cubscast. Sadly, like Ellen Page,
we missed out on the major hardware, though we were honored for having
coined the term "cubbery." (Congratulations to reader Chad, the actual
coiner. Rob G. has agreed to waive Chad's TCR subscription fee for the
next month as his prize.)

We hope to do better next year. Either that, or we'll just have a bunch of you join us in egging Cubcast's treehouse.

Comments

• Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 29 min 21 sec ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

Old and Blue 1 hour 10 min ago view
  • Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 1 hour 34 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 2 hours 1 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 2 hours 28 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 3 hours 56 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 5 hours 31 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 7 hours 11 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 7 hours 12 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 7 hours 14 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 7 hours 16 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 7 hours 25 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 26 min ago view