Gameday Open Thread / Cubs @ Angels

The Cubs travel to Tempe to take on the Angels and Jered Weaver. Jason Marquis takes the mound for the Cubs with Kerry Wood scheduled to see some action.

Comments

Congrats on your new site. Best of luck on your future success.

First chance to actually SEE the Cubbies in action this year. Gammons has been raving about Wood, so very curious to see how he looks.

Looked okay for March 1st. The halos beat up on him a bit, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Touched 96 on the gun.

I think you're talking about Woody, Ryno. And you're right. Threw the fastball very well, I thought.

It's not that atypical to hang a slider on the 1st day of March, which is what happened on the Hunter donger.

In the first inning, SOTO just threw out Chone Figgins attempting to steal.
Beautiful throw just on the first base side of second nailed him.

We're gonna love this guy.

You arent a true Cub fan unless your in parachat....

marquis likes to say words...and evidently 21m over 3 years isnt enough to take care of your family long-term.

---
"I love Chicago," Marquis said. "I definitely want to stay here. This is the place I want to be. I signed here for a reason. But I also signed as a starter, and I think that's where I help the team the most. Obviously we'll see what happens when it's time for [the Cubs] to make their decision.

"So as much as I want to be here in Chicago -- I love it, I love the fans, I love the stadium -- I also have a family to worry about, too. I think I can take my services elsewhere if that's the case and I can help another team, in that capacity as a starter.

"So, my value doesn't lie in the bullpen in my mind."
---

Bye bye Marquis. And don't let the door hit you in your sorry ass either.

• "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 2 hours 27 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 2 hours 55 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 14 hours 55 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 16 hours 41 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 16 hours 49 min ago view

fixed that for ya.

• The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.

Eric S 17 hours 5 min ago view