I know Dusty's Long Gone But...

Damn....just damn. (emphasis added)

-----------------------------

Dusty Baker wants his hitters to hit. He likes aggressive hitters. He was talking about Joey Votto and finished with this:

“I really, really hate the called third strike. I hate that. You're guess and you ain't ready to hit.”

Does the aggressive stuff go for Adam Dunn, too? “Like I said, I don't like called third strikes. Dunn’s not a kid. He's not old, but he ain't a kid. I bet you he gets better. He's from Texas, right? There’s not a cow in Texas if he don’t get better.”

“He wants to get better. Barry Bonds he always told me Dunn would be one of the best around. Comes to hitting, Barry’s got a pretty good idea.”

On Votto: “He needs to swing some more. I talked to him about that. Strikeouts aren't the only criteria. I'd like to see him more aggressive.”

“A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids. Most of the time you’ve got to put handcuffs on a young to keep him from swinging.”

Comments

Wow.....just hilarious. Dusty? 1987 is calling, and it wants its approach back.

lol... classic!

It's much funnier when it isn't your team.

Now I'm thinking he took the Cincy job specifically because he knew Dunn was from Texas, and we wanted to use that line.

He's become a parody of himself. Funny shit when he's the competition, though!

All I can say is this. Better them than us gentelmen. I can't wait til Cincy Greg or whoever starts lurking here. Asking us what we all think of Dusty.

According to Dusty, yesterdays Cubs game (0 walks by our hitters, 6 walks allowed by our pitchers) should have resulted in a Cubs victory since "walks clog the bases".

Reds fans will be pulling out their hair over hiring the moron long before the all-star break.

dusty wants power hitters to swing the bat...imagine that. shocking news every time he says it...wow. too bad he cant be more elegant about it.

all the "dusty blah blah" aside...votto DOES need to expand his zone. he's a power hitter not taking advantage of his own power. he's also not THAT selective. he dont have a bonds eye or anything. he does have the ability to expand his hitting, though. he's not a pure-pull guy.

right, if he was just a better orator he wouldn't come off like such a dumbass.

Well said...

he keeps saying the same thing and applying it to the power hitters. he has a thing for contact hitters, but it generally comes down to the same thing...he wants his power hitters to swing.

the people he bitches about in the context of his verbal garbage arent your theriot-types and i dont think dusty's under the illusion that a guy who walks 50 times a year in 600+PA is suddenly gonna become a 100 walk guy cuz he verbally says "hey dude, why dont you lay off that pitch you keep missing, man. it's obvious you're not getting fooled, man, so lay off it."

all that aside...votto is a guy who's bat can do a lot more than scott hatteberg impersonations (with a touch more speed). he does need to expand his offerings, imo.

I just realized that for the first time, Im older than everyone on the Cubs 40 man roster. Damn this sucks.

wrong post...

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.

• I hope the D and bullpen show up. Cubs haven't had much luck against Davies, and he's been going well lately. A little uncomfortable with the Cards only 6.5 back--feels like they're right on our tails compared to the 11 game lead I've grown accustomed to.

• Cardinals, stop that. Right now.

• In a year or two, a lot of fans are going to point at trading him as a mistake. He'll probably be slashing something like 280/400/480 for Seattle at the time. Of course, by WAR, he'll still be worth less than 3, since we're talking zero defensive value.

John Beasley 4 hours 24 min ago view
  • vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.

• m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.

...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.

• I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.

• 2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.

Cubster 16 hours 37 min ago view
  • welcome back fowler.

• More slow news...

Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?

Cubster 17 hours 25 min ago view
  • glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.

.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.

i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).

• CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).

Arizona Phil 19 hours 52 min ago view
  • The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.

Non Roster Invitee 20 hours 4 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.

Arizona Phil 20 hours 7 min ago view
  • Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

chitownmvp01 20 hours 10 min ago view