I know Dusty's Long Gone But...

Damn....just damn. (emphasis added)

-----------------------------

Dusty Baker wants his hitters to hit. He likes aggressive hitters. He was talking about Joey Votto and finished with this:

“I really, really hate the called third strike. I hate that. You're guess and you ain't ready to hit.”

Does the aggressive stuff go for Adam Dunn, too? “Like I said, I don't like called third strikes. Dunn’s not a kid. He's not old, but he ain't a kid. I bet you he gets better. He's from Texas, right? There’s not a cow in Texas if he don’t get better.”

“He wants to get better. Barry Bonds he always told me Dunn would be one of the best around. Comes to hitting, Barry’s got a pretty good idea.”

On Votto: “He needs to swing some more. I talked to him about that. Strikeouts aren't the only criteria. I'd like to see him more aggressive.”

“A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids. Most of the time you’ve got to put handcuffs on a young to keep him from swinging.”

Comments

Wow.....just hilarious. Dusty? 1987 is calling, and it wants its approach back.

lol... classic!

It's much funnier when it isn't your team.

Now I'm thinking he took the Cincy job specifically because he knew Dunn was from Texas, and we wanted to use that line.

He's become a parody of himself. Funny shit when he's the competition, though!

All I can say is this. Better them than us gentelmen. I can't wait til Cincy Greg or whoever starts lurking here. Asking us what we all think of Dusty.

According to Dusty, yesterdays Cubs game (0 walks by our hitters, 6 walks allowed by our pitchers) should have resulted in a Cubs victory since "walks clog the bases".

Reds fans will be pulling out their hair over hiring the moron long before the all-star break.

dusty wants power hitters to swing the bat...imagine that. shocking news every time he says it...wow. too bad he cant be more elegant about it.

all the "dusty blah blah" aside...votto DOES need to expand his zone. he's a power hitter not taking advantage of his own power. he's also not THAT selective. he dont have a bonds eye or anything. he does have the ability to expand his hitting, though. he's not a pure-pull guy.

right, if he was just a better orator he wouldn't come off like such a dumbass.

Well said...

he keeps saying the same thing and applying it to the power hitters. he has a thing for contact hitters, but it generally comes down to the same thing...he wants his power hitters to swing.

the people he bitches about in the context of his verbal garbage arent your theriot-types and i dont think dusty's under the illusion that a guy who walks 50 times a year in 600+PA is suddenly gonna become a 100 walk guy cuz he verbally says "hey dude, why dont you lay off that pitch you keep missing, man. it's obvious you're not getting fooled, man, so lay off it."

all that aside...votto is a guy who's bat can do a lot more than scott hatteberg impersonations (with a touch more speed). he does need to expand his offerings, imo.

I just realized that for the first time, Im older than everyone on the Cubs 40 man roster. Damn this sucks.

wrong post...

• Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 16 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 6 hours 29 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 7 hours 18 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 7 hours 22 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 7 hours 31 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.

• Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.

Eric S 9 hours 58 min ago view
  • It's still very early but this game felt very important to me and probably knocked 2 years off my life. Seemed like every inning was big.

• Yes then they moved him two spot then not so much, back batting 7th

jacos 10 hours 45 min ago view
  • This is the exact game that the Cubs would have lost in years past to the Cardinals.