TCR Friday Notes

- The Cubs made their first roster cuts, trimming the roster by nine. They included pitchers, Billy Petrick, Esmailin Caridad, Jose Ceda and left-hander Geoff Jones. Also, outfielders Tyler Colvin and Andres Torres, infielder Bobby Scales, and catchers Wellington Castillo and Josh Donaldson.

- A few folks sent me links to their Cubs sites lately and wanted to menton kosukefukudome.org, which is naturally, all things Kosuke. There's also Cubs Chat Room, which looks like it puts together all the major Cubs blogs in one place and has an ongoing chat. And finally, Just One Bad Century, which sure looks promising. Anyone doing a retrospective on great Cubs mustaches throughout the years, is my kind of place.

- You may have seen the recap of our MLB Open Fantasy League draft. You can have just as much fun by joining our second league. We're one to two players short of a full league, so drop me a line if you want to be part of the fun. I believe the draft is Saturday, March 22nd at 11am CST.

- Steve Holley of Inside the Ivy is going to do a little Q&A with us sometime over the next couple of weeks. I'd like to get my questions to him next week, so if you want to ask anything about our minor leaguers, drop me a note in the comments.

Comments

I for one am sad to see Beef Castillo go...

FYI Rob, you have an extra space at the end of the url in the One Bad Century link, so it doesn't work.

thanks...should be fixed.

He was one of the top candidates for the right-handed-hitting utility 4th OF spot. Does anyone think that us cutting him means we have another candidate for the 4th OF spot who isn't currently on the roster? The only other alternative I can think of is keeping both Murton and Fuld around and having Murton back up at corner OF and Fuld be the CF backup.

I would guess that we'll make that trade eventually. But if we don't, Murton stays and Cedeno probably is the backup/right-hitting center fielder.

If nothing happens before Opening Day:

Bench of:
Murton
Blanco
Cedeno
Ward
one of Jake Fox, Cintron, Fontenot, Eric Patterson or Fuld. I'd bet on Cintron out of that group.

Ronny Cedeno has played CF in Winterleague this offseason. He MIGHT be an option.

He's now played a game or two in the spring as well. No idea how he's looked though.

I don't think he was really a top candidate. He has a career MLB average of .210 in 257 ABs and a career minor league average of .268. He's a 30-year old career minor leaguer for a reason. And the Cubs would have to add him to the 40-man roster. Option A) I think is adding someone, option B) would be to work with what they have. Option C) Torres, was never really an option. In my opinion anyway.

By my count, we have one open spot on the 40-man and possibly two more opening by putting Guzman on the 60-day DL and returning Tim Lahey to the Twins (or whatever we do with him).

Yeah, but they won't waste a spot on Torres, a minor leauge free agent whom no one really wants.

Cintron will likely be added too. If I remember he's still on a minor league contract for now.

Oh, no doubt that Torres sucks donkey balls, I just feel the need to drone on about our 40-man roster situation. :)

I would have put this in my notes if I had seen it yet: Top 5 NL Right Fielders by PROJECTED VORP in 2008

Corey Hart, MIL, .295, 35.5
Kosuke Fukudome, CHN, .303, 29.2
Jeremy Hermida, FLO, .296, 28.7
Matt Kemp, LAN, .287, 27.2
Lastings Milledge, WAS, .287, 22.2

That's encouraging about Kosuke, but how the heck is Brad Hawpe not in the top 5? (17.4 projected VORP btw).

lastings milledge?

i'm sure his 200Ks and 50 walks will blow people away and impress many. he sure didn't look slick vs. righties last season no matter what his #s show. playing in FLA/WAS/NYM/ATL parks sure wont help. at least his swing is fluid and has legit pop.

...and hermida? are you f'n kidding me? can he even get to 25 homers? linedrives in those NL East parks?

casey lambert...

killer curve...ordinary fastball...midget...reliever

anyway...has his fastball improved (low 90s rather than high 80s)? does he have or working on a 3rd pitch? cubs gonna keep him in relief (if he has a 3rd pitch developing/developed)?

Thanks...will pass it along...

• FYI: Here's a good link explaining the differences in pitching WAR between Fangraphs and Basebell Reference.

Rob G. 11 min 38 sec ago view
  • ERA is just FIP with defense and luck. That being said if Hendricks gets his ERA under 2.00, he may have a legit shot.

That all being said I was looking at Fangraphs WAR and I should have been looking at Basebell Reference WAR because more voters use that. My bad and happy to admit my mistake unlike some people around here that shall not be named (just kidding CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH!)

Rob G. 14 min 50 sec ago view
  • Yes. That is something up with which we will not put.

fullykräusened 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • Right, then. Moving forward lets focus on simple declarative sentences, subject-verb agreement, and watch out for punctuation. Avoid prepositions at the end of sentences.

Jackstraw 2 hours 1 min ago view
  • I love sabremetrics and think FIP and WAR can definitely predict future success. For the Cy though which is an award for current success I do think ERA and WHIP have a place. Also while Hendricks doesn't have the strikeouts he does have the highest soft hit contact and second lowest hard hit contact which does a lot to take fielding skill out of it.

To me if the ERA is close FIP and WAR should be used but right now its not. That said I agree with you Hendricks won't get it.

• Can't get soft just because we have a big lead!

• kershaw will be lucky to put in 160+ip. even though it projects to be an awesome 160+ip it's going to be extremely difficult for him to do much with that. he's still got minor league rehab game(s) to go through and he's only stretched out to 2ip with his last simulated rehab...it may take another couple weeks before he returns.

the numbers are awesome, but he's lost the equivalent of a good chunk of a top-tier pen arm's season in innings of work compared to the rest of the lot.

• Kershaw, Fernandez and Syndergaard are your current leaders and all will be pitching meaningful games down the stretch that could make or break them. Hendricks will not be and his saber-numbers aren't anywhere close to those 3 and he'd split votes with Arrieta and Lester whom all are basically neck-and-neck for  WAR and FIP. If Kershaw pitches like just okay Kershaw in September he deserves to win in a landslide. Voters are pretty much saber-inclined now so it would take a crazy shutout streak or something for Hendricks to jump in the picture.

• AZ PHIL: With starters the likes of Edwin Jackson, even Chris Rusin or Michael Bowden could look good on their staff. At best, he is a #5-6. But as always, LH are at a premium.

• Sure we would all want consistency. He is not even 24, has played 5 (!) positions this year. Can you imagine what is in his head? He was only a part-time player at 2 spots last year. And THEN think about hitting?? Cut him some slack...You sure are picky lately. First wishing #6 NL RBI guy Russell have a better average, and now an "unncessarily fancy pick". Geez tough crowd!

• it's going to be hard to take down scherzer.

kershaw is supposedly coming back soon, though he'll probably need a good amount of deep innings to match up with scherzer...probably too late at this point. tanner roark, bumgarner, and hendricks are probably going to steal some votes along with kershaw.

• I absolutely love Javy's game, and I love the way Maddon changed the perception of him as a ballplayer, but I really wish he would just make the routine plays routinely. On the ground ball in the 9th, he made an unnecessarily fancy pick. He made the play, but tried the same thing last night and made an error.

• How many wins does Kyle need for serious Cy Young consideration? Would 17 be enough if he leads the league in ERA? My goodness, what a season -- makes a Dartmouth alum proud.

• jacos 14 hours 27 min ago view
  • hendricks WHIP drops to 0.98 over 159 innings after throwing 7ip 3h 1bb 4k, 0r/er

ERA down to 2.09 on the season.

crazy good.

• I am pretty well fed up with the majority of home plate umps. Just terrible inconsistencies.