Could Lou Piniella Be A Better Manager Than Mike Scioscia And Worse Than Ozzie Guillen?

Absolutely, if you accept the premise behind an analysis in Friday's Wall Street Journal, which ranked 20 big league managers on:

• Their teams' performance in close games, i.e., games tied through six innings
    • Their teams' won-loss record relative to its projected record based on runs scored and allowed (the "Pythagorean" projection)
    • How players' individual performances improved or declined under various managers, with allowances made for the players' ages

The managers were ranked in each of the three categories, and the ranks were averaged, giving each manager a composite score.

Piniella turned up 12th overall, two slots ahead of Scioscia, but four spots below Awful Ozzie and one spot below (gulp!) Johnnie B. Baker.

Lou ranked 3rd of 20 on influencing player performance, 9th of 20 on won-loss against expectations, and 19th of 20 on won-loss record in close games.

The top 5 according to the study:

1. Ron Gardenhire
    2. Bruce Bochy
    3. Ned Yost
    4. Charlie Manuel
    5. Bob Melvin

And your bottom five...

16. Terry Francona
    17. Joe Torre
    18. Eric Wedge
    19. Jim Leyland
    20. Clint Hurdle

At this point, you're probably going through the same calculation that I did when I saw the list: the bottom five guys have a whole bunch of world championships on their resumés--seven to be exact--while the top five guys have a grand total of zero.

A flawed study to be sure, but an interesting read. (This study was a backdrop to an article about whether or not the Dodgers are overpaying for Joe Torre's services.)

As for our man Lou, he's not having much of an evening tonight in Las Vegas, as his Cubs are getting battered by the Mariners. Why didn't he remember to tell Ted Lilly and Jason Marquis not to throw all those gopher balls?

Comments

The Phillies made a move on Friday that they think will shore up the back end of their bullpen, claiming right-hander Tom Leahy off waivers from the Cubs.

People talk about team parity. What about manager parity? When did MLB have the most active managers with the most WS rings or League pennants? Does the League with the higher number of "better" managers considered the "stronger" league or send better teams to the playoffs? Do high-profile "free-agent" managers historically have preference for one league or another? Will Ted Lilly give up that many HR in every game?

I think it's safe to figure that Lilly will give up equal numbers of HR every start.

I didn't read all of this yet, but looks interesting...a year-by-year summary of each Cub season from 1909-present

Rob G. posted that in Friday notes. What a downer. It tooks me three sittings. After the second one I went for a hourlong walk, it's that depressing.

Oh, 3/44 ... whoops

• Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 2 hours 33 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 30 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 9 hours 44 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 10 hours 32 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 10 hours 36 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 10 hours 45 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.

• Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.

Eric S 13 hours 13 min ago view
  • It's still very early but this game felt very important to me and probably knocked 2 years off my life. Seemed like every inning was big.

• Yes then they moved him two spot then not so much, back batting 7th