This Little Piggy Went to Iowa

Sean Marshall was supposed to start for the Iowa Cubs tonight against Albuquerque in Des Moines. Instead he's on his way to Pittsburgh, exchanging roster spots with Carmen Pignatiello. Apparently Lou Piniella huffed and puffed and blew 'Piggy' back to the minors after the southpaw showed his appreciation for making the big club by walking both hitters he faced in Monday's 10-8 torture tilt.

Comments

Boo. But oh well... he will be back at some point.

Not sure that I am a fan of wasting Marshall in the bullpen though.

Sorry guys. I see this news was posted earlier deep in the comments beneath the Billy Buck post. I was hoping to watch Marshall tonight. Gallagher is supposed to throw tomorrow, but the weather forecast is not good. Pretty short leash they had 'Piggy' on...

Strange move -- Marshall in the pen only diminishes his value, either to the Cubs or to someone else.

I'm not Sean is the the right guy for the job. I think his struggles in relief this spring proved that.

I've always thought it to be a general rule that soft tossing left-handers don't make good relievers. Of course there are exceptions to that, so maybe he'll do OK. I'm not particularly optimistic about it, though.

Cedeno starting tonight @ SS

Hope the fans in the first few rows in the RF boxes pay attention, one of his throws could give 'em a facial if they're not looking.

Yeah, boo. Piggy may have been terrible, but Marshall won't be appreciably better and his value, and much higher upside, are hurt by going back to the pen.

Way to go, Piniella! Sending Piggy down to Iowa after a few brief outings will surely teach him not to suck next time he gets called up. Clearly he wasn't aware that he was supposed to try to get outs.

And Marshall in the bullpen makes all sorts of sense.

I'm trying out sarcasm today.

• One more victory to ensure a winning season!

billybucks 22 min ago view
  • If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 22 min 23 sec ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

billybucks 23 min 41 sec ago view
  • So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 25 min 54 sec ago view
  • TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.

Cubster 1 hour 15 min ago view
  • Objectively true. Scherzer's FIP is almost a half point higher than his ERA, mostly I deduce because his BABIP is .249 so something ridiculous like that. It's not like the guy can't be scored on, but when I watch him, I sometimes feel that he's the most in control of the game moving around him.

John Beasley 2 hours 5 sec ago view
  • Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.

• Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

• i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 11 hours 11 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers:

.....

13.C. Seager 0.7

Traditional stats

Crawford

.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned

Russell

• Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?

Eric S 14 hours 40 min ago view
  • Favorite Genesis video

jacos 15 hours 10 min ago view
  • Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.

Eric S 15 hours 49 min ago view
  • Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.

Gonzalez and Morrison also honored.

VirginiaPhil 21 hours 9 min ago view
  • QuietMan 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.

JoePepitone 1 day 9 hours ago view