Soriano Out; E-Pat In

Wrigley Field will be drowning in Pattersons tonight as the Cubs' Eric will be in the dugout opposite the Reds' Corey. E-Pat has been called up from Triple-A Iowa as Alfonso Soriano and his strained right calf muscle go on the 15-day DL.

More momentarily in the Gameday Thread.

Comments

Are we to guess that Patterson was called up instead of Murton because he bats left-handed?

No, Jim Hendry thinks this is a beer league and they need someone in short center. That makes about as much sense as any theory. Bringing up a lefty batting infielder to sit on the bench, especially a lefty bat who is struggling at AAA, doesn't make as much sense to me as bringing up Murton. I'm not one of the guys who thinks Murton will be a superstar, but I do think that unlike Pie, if they could tolerate his defense and just let him play he will be a very solid hitter. Heck, we already know he's a solid hitter, I just think he will put up Paul O'Neill type power numbers - 15-20 hr, 35+ doubles. You could live with his mediocre fielding when he has a .360+ obp.

Also, has anyone else gotten the feeling that as long as Fukudome keeps bailing out at the end of every swing, he isn't going to hit for any power at all? He has a slap swing, ala Rod Carew. Don't get me wrong, between his obp and defense Fukudome is a great addition, but for what he is being paid they are expecting more than just a singles hitter.

I'm not one of the guys who thinks Murton will be a superstar

Umm... who thinks that Murton is going to be a superstar?

RIP to the final remaining shred of Murton's trade value. Bollocks I say.

LouPa says on the pre-game show that EPat can play Left Field.

So that confirms it that he's looking at EPatt as a potential leadoff hitter playing LF.

• crunch 28 min 24 sec ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 28 min 55 sec ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

crunch 43 min 4 sec ago view
  • Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 1 hour 1 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 1 hour 25 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

crunch 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 11 hours 33 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 11 hours 43 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 2 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.