Movement In Cubs' Sale Process...Sort Of

As reported by Phil Rosenthal in Friday's Tribune:

(Tribune Company Chairman and Chief Executive Sam) Zell said in a conference call with creditors
Thursday he now expects the confidential Cubs figures to be released to
potential buyers in the next 10 days or so and a sale to be completed
"sometime this year," regardless of what happens in ongoing
negotiations with the state over Wrigley, or whatever the park winds up
being called.

"You
ought to read the latest newspaper because it's all out there," Zell
said, noting there continues to be "steady progress" in talks for a
ballpark deal. "We're trying to do what is the optimum transaction with
the Illinois Sports Authority while simultaneously running with a book
on the Cubs going both ways, with or without the sports authority."

If you liked this article, consider supporting us during TCR's April Pledge Drive.

Comments

My guess... Wrigley + Ball club = sells for $1.13 bn

Personally, I hope one owner buys the club & ball park together.

I tried to send to that address, but it was returned as undeliverable.

Thanks for sharing though. I wanted to express my opinions to them since they took the liberty to digress from comments on a few idiots that night to giving the middle finger to all Cub fans with their idiotic generalizations. Reminds me of the Elia episode without the fireworks.

I hope so, too, but it would surprise me if Zell and the state don't reach a deal. I'm thinking this business of 'we'll complete the sale with or without the Stadium Authority' is just Zell trying to give himself some leverage and get the state to move. Maybe the fact that the Governor is well on his way to indictment is distracting the money boys in Springfield.

Good point Cubnut. Blagojevich's troubles could be a big factor.

Still, Zell pitting the state against prospective owners in hopes of driving up the price of the ballpark is perfectly Zellish. It makes sense that he would give the eventual owner a chance to top the state's best offer for the park.

I think you'll see much more talk about the sale because Zell is stepping away from his breaking apart of the Cubs and Wrigley. Why would a new owner not want to own the park as well? It doesn't make business sense for the new owner not to have the oppertunity to buy the park with the team.

Zell called out the state, the state worked slowly, and Zell is trying to get leverage, but from here on out, the Stadium Authority is a done dog in this sale. The state has way too many other things going on, so Zell is stuck taking what he can get with the Cubs & Wrigley package....poor baby.

Sorry Mike. A buddy of mine, who is a Reds fan, sent me that email address this morning.

I'll see what I can drum up.

That's cool. Thanks.

I'm over it anyway...Cubs win today! My weekend is off to a good start.

• video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

• from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

• great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

• If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?

Craig A. 7 hours 47 min ago view
  • #Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.

Fun with FIP

• J. Hammel   3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
    • J. Arrieta     2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
    • J. Lester     2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
    • K. Hendricks  2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
    • J. Lackey     3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
  • zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k

he's great when his control is "on"...problem is it's rarely "on" consistently. he could vault up the cubs prospect list if he ever gets better with that aspect of his game.

• JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.

My second thought was what you came up with. My first thought was he was trying to light a fire under Hammel.

Jackstraw 10 hours 4 min ago view
  • Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...

• joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1

not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.

really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.

• Russell and Soler can attest that Urias has a pretty good curve/slider - two big strikeouts looking to get out of that jam in the first.

Eric S 11 hours 10 min ago view
  • Classic Scully - great stuff.

Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)

Eric S 16 hours 1 min ago view
  • Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:

"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."

VirginiaPhil 17 hours 15 min ago view
  • When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.

VirginiaPhil 17 hours 18 min ago view
  • If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.

Jackstraw 18 hours 37 min ago view
  • cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago view