Movement In Cubs' Sale Process...Sort Of

As reported by Phil Rosenthal in Friday's Tribune:

(Tribune Company Chairman and Chief Executive Sam) Zell said in a conference call with creditors
Thursday he now expects the confidential Cubs figures to be released to
potential buyers in the next 10 days or so and a sale to be completed
"sometime this year," regardless of what happens in ongoing
negotiations with the state over Wrigley, or whatever the park winds up
being called.

"You
ought to read the latest newspaper because it's all out there," Zell
said, noting there continues to be "steady progress" in talks for a
ballpark deal. "We're trying to do what is the optimum transaction with
the Illinois Sports Authority while simultaneously running with a book
on the Cubs going both ways, with or without the sports authority."

If you liked this article, consider supporting us during TCR's April Pledge Drive.

Comments

My guess... Wrigley + Ball club = sells for $1.13 bn

Personally, I hope one owner buys the club & ball park together.

I tried to send to that address, but it was returned as undeliverable.

Thanks for sharing though. I wanted to express my opinions to them since they took the liberty to digress from comments on a few idiots that night to giving the middle finger to all Cub fans with their idiotic generalizations. Reminds me of the Elia episode without the fireworks.

I hope so, too, but it would surprise me if Zell and the state don't reach a deal. I'm thinking this business of 'we'll complete the sale with or without the Stadium Authority' is just Zell trying to give himself some leverage and get the state to move. Maybe the fact that the Governor is well on his way to indictment is distracting the money boys in Springfield.

Good point Cubnut. Blagojevich's troubles could be a big factor.

Still, Zell pitting the state against prospective owners in hopes of driving up the price of the ballpark is perfectly Zellish. It makes sense that he would give the eventual owner a chance to top the state's best offer for the park.

I think you'll see much more talk about the sale because Zell is stepping away from his breaking apart of the Cubs and Wrigley. Why would a new owner not want to own the park as well? It doesn't make business sense for the new owner not to have the oppertunity to buy the park with the team.

Zell called out the state, the state worked slowly, and Zell is trying to get leverage, but from here on out, the Stadium Authority is a done dog in this sale. The state has way too many other things going on, so Zell is stuck taking what he can get with the Cubs & Wrigley package....poor baby.

Sorry Mike. A buddy of mine, who is a Reds fan, sent me that email address this morning.

I'll see what I can drum up.

That's cool. Thanks.

I'm over it anyway...Cubs win today! My weekend is off to a good start.

• The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 1 hour 8 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

Old and Blue 1 hour 26 min ago view
  • Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 4 hours 19 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 11 hours 16 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 11 hours 30 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 12 hours 18 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 12 hours 22 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 12 hours 31 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.

• Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.

Eric S 14 hours 59 min ago view