Cubs Hits Of The Week (For the Week of 4/14 through 4/20)

The five hits that did the most to enhance the Cubs' chance of winning during the past week of Dusty-dissing and Pirate punishment, as measured by FanGraphs' Win Probability Added (WPA):

#5 Big Hit:
Friday, v. Pittsburgh, 4th inning-- With the Cubs trailing 1-0, Kosuke Fukudome rips a leadoff triple against Ian Snell. (Fukudome would score moments later on a Mark DeRosa single). WPA .120

#4 Big Hit:
Wednesday, v. Cincinnati, 1st inning-- Here comes that Fukudome guy again. WIth the bases loaded and one out in a scoreless game, Fukudome plates the Cubs first two runs with a double off Josh Fogg, scoring Ryan Theriot and Derrek Lee, and getting the home team on their way to a 12-3 win. WPA .149

#3 Big Hit:
Saturday, v. Pittsburgh, 1st inning-- Derrek Lee begins the Cubs' second bombardment of the Pirates' Tom Gorzelanny this season by mashing a two-run homer to get the Cubs on the board and provide all the scoring they needed to win on Saturday. WPA .165

#2 Big Hit:
Tuesday, v. Cincinnati, 2nd inning--Mark DeRosa's two-run homer against Aaron Harang puts the Cubs up 2-1, before the Reds leapfrog back into the lead, thus setting the stage for the #1 Cub Big Hit of the Week. WPA .171

#1 Big Hit:
Tuesday, v. Cincinnati, 5th inning-- Mr. Lee tops this week's list with a three-run shot off Harang to erase a 3-2 Reds lead and put the Cubs up, 5-3. WPA .321

If you liked this article, consider supporting us during TCR's April Pledge Drive.

Comments

against the Pirates, a text-book hit and run executed by Theriot and Johnson.

Many of you point to Johnson's poor 2007 showing. However, those of you who have back problems, and the debilitating effects of pain and the restriction of movement, can attest to the fact that this could be a major contributor to his off-year.

So far, we have been very lucky on this addition.

The question is: will Lou have the stones to bury Soriano down in the lineup.

I have had a bad back ever since I was introduced to Johann's mom....coincidently, I was trying to bury my stones in her lineup.

wow

That's just a sound execution of fundamentals, right there. On so many levels.

I second that. ROTFLMFAO

Really love the Cubs Hits of the Week. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks. Glad to hear it.

I agree. It's a very good way to recap the week.

According to the Orioles website, it is "extremely likely" that Alex Cintron will eventually take over at shortstop.

I present you with exhibit A

sweet...thought today was an offday...and i get evening baseball.

everything's coming up millhouse. woo.

jerry hairston jr and his AAA 421/.450/.772 line is getting a callup to the bigs for the reds.

looks like dustbag has him a new leadoff and/or #2 hitter.

Ha... the MLB.com article says that Hairson adds "some right-handed pop to their bench."

Hairston is the same guy who has 29 career homeruns in the minors (in 1509 at-bats) and 33 career homeruns in the majors (in 2534 at-bats).

he meant Hairston adds some "poop to their bench"

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 4 hours 36 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 5 hours 2 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.