Killer Bees Lead Cubs to Victory
Robert Hernandez threw three hitless innings and Dwayne Kemp drove in three runs with a sac fly, a triple, and a home run, leading the EXST Cubs to a 9-4 victory over the EXST Giants in Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning.
Hernandez, who is staying in shape at Fitch Park while serving a 50-game prohibited substance suspension, struck out three and walked one in his three innings of work. Hopefully the Peoria Chiefs are keeping his spot in their starting rotation warm, because the young Venezuelan has looked great so far at EXST, and he was really cookin' out there on the mound today.
In EXST roster news, prized 18-year old Venezuelan RHP prospect Larry Suarez underwent season-ending elbow surgery last week, 1B Bryan Jost (who had season-ending knee surgery while assigned to the AZ Instructional League last October) is now nursing a groin or quad injury, and 2B-OF Jeffrey Rea (who has been at EXST rehabbing a sore arm) was supposed to leave for Peoria tomorrow, but unfortunately for him (and good for somebody struggling at Peoria) he has had his promotion postponed probably until sometime next week after suffering a quad strain while running the bases in yesterday's game. And OF Brandon Guyer (fractured elbow rehab) is still unable to throw, although he can swing the bat OK and has been used as a DH. Guyer is a Matt Murton clone.
Also, the reason 1B Marc Sawyer (2007 15th round draft pick out of Yale) did not report to Minor League Camp last month is because he decided to retire. I guess the value of an Ivy League degree exceeds a .203 batting average at Boise, so perhaps he found he could make more money doing anything other than playing minor league baseball for four or five grand a year.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Elvis Lara, DH #1: 1-5 (1-3, 6-3, 3B-RBI + R, 1-3, Ks)
2. Starlin Castro, SS: 1-4 (1-3, Ks, 3B-RBI, F-9)
3. John Contreras, 3B: 0-3 (1-3, 6-3, F-9, BB)
4a. Nelson Perez, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 1B + R, F-7)
4b. Drew Rundle, RF: 0-1 (6-4 FC + SB)
5. Roberto Sabates, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, BB+ R, F-9, 1B)
6. Luke Sommer, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, BB + R, F-8, F-7)
7. Andres Quezada, CF: 2-4 (F-8, 1B-RBI + R, 6-3, 1B + R)
8. Kevin Soto, LF: 3-4 (Ks, 1B-RBI, 1B + R, 2B)
9. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 2-3 (3B, 6-4-3 GIDP, TWO RUN HR, F-7 SF-RBI)
10. Jose Guevara, C: 0-3 (Kc, BB + R, 4-3, 4-3)
1. Arik Hempy - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP
2. Jim Henderson - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
3. Robert Hernandez - 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
4. Yohan Gonzalez - 2.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 0 BB, 2 K
5. Julio Pena - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP
Dwayne Kemp (overthrow at 1st while attempting to complete 5-4-3 DP allowed batter-runner to advance extra base)
LF Kevin Soto (7-2, runner thrown out at home trying to score from 2nd base on line single to LF)
RF Nelson Perez (9-4-5, runner thrown out at 3rd base trying to stretch RBI double into triple)
Dwayne Kemp was thrown out 8-6-2 trying to stretch triple into inside-the-park HR.
Jose Guevara: 0-2 CS, 2 PB
WEATHER: Hot & sunny, temp in 80's
ATTENDANCE: 4 (including Orkin pest control guy, who was there to try and neutralize an agitated Africanized "Killer Bee" hive located in a tree next to Field #4).
SAGE ADVICE FROM AZ PHIL: Speaking from personal experience, Killer Bees will chase a person up to a half-mile, so once they decide they don't like you, the best thing to do is cover your head, keep runnin', and don't stop!